Second batch of 25 Malaysians repatriated after rescue from job scam syndicates in Myanmar


FILE PHOTO: Victims of scam centers who were tricked or trafficked into working in Myanmar, are stuck in limbo at a compound inside the KK Park, a fraud factory, and a human trafficking hub on the border with Thailand-Myanmar after a multinational crackdown on the compounds run by criminal gangs, operated by the Karen Border Guard Force (BGF) in Myawaddy, Myanmar, February 26, 2025. - Photo: Reuters

BANGKOK: (Bernama) The second batch of 25 Malaysians rescued from job scam syndicates in Myanmar has been repatriated via Mae Sot, Tak Province, in northern Thailand.

Chargé d’Affaires of Malaysia to Myanmar, Johan Ariff Abdul Razak, stated that the Malaysians were handed over by Myanmar authorities to the Malaysian Embassy through Thai authorities at approximately 10am on Tuesday (March 11).

"A total of 23 men and 2 women, aged between 21 and 47, were repatriated by land and are expected to arrive at the Bukit Kayu Hitam Immigration, Customs, Quarantine, and Security Complex tomorrow (March 12)," he told Bernama when contacted on Tuesday (March 11).

He added that the Malaysian victims departed from Mae Sot at around 2pm local time.

However, Johan, who assisted the Malaysian Embassy in Thailand in verifying the victims, noted that one of the Malaysians, who was found to have entered Myanmar legally, would be travelling separately from the group.

"Myanmar authorities informed us that one of the Malaysians had entered the country legally. Therefore, separate arrangements under the law will be made for the individual to return to Malaysia," he said.

Meanwhile, Chargé d’Affaires ad interim of Malaysia to Thailand, Bong Yik Jui, mentioned that embassy officers in Bangkok have assisted all the victims in contacting their next of kin in Malaysia and issuing temporary travel documents.

Bong said the Embassy officers in Bangkok will accompany all the victims throughout their journey from Tak Province to Bukit Kayu Hitam, which is expected to take more than 20 hours.

On March 6, Thailand’s Foreign Ministry announced plans to repatriate 1,500 people rescued from these syndicates in Myanmar each week.

Last month, 15 Malaysians were among the 260 foreigners rescued from alleged call centre syndicates in Myawaddy, Myanmar. They were successfully brought back to Malaysia on February 24 and handed over to the Royal Malaysian Police to assist in investigations. - Bernama

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Thursday (May 21, 2026)
Vietnam mandates health declarations for travellers from July 1
Boat captains suspected of letting students steer vessels before fatal capsizing in Okinawa
Korean coach Kim Pan-Gon is sure his Selangor FC side will fight on after bitter loss to Buriram United
Thai fruit exports surge 56% in first quarter as Commerce Ministry drives aggressive global campaigns
Indonesia, Malaysia have approved asset transfers to new Eni-PETRONAS JV, PETRONAS exec says
HK actor Sean Lau secretly photographed on train, amusing response wins over netizens
India wants return of stranded ships before sending more to Gulf
Cambodian avatars pray to spirits for rain, peace with Thailand
Indonesian-Malaysian cross-cultural festival Latihan Pestapora Malaysia returns to Bukit Jalil with another exciting line-up

Others Also Read