US soldier who entered N. Korea pleads guilty to desertion


An American soldier who crossed into North Korea last year pleaded guilty to desertion as part of a plea agreement and was sentenced to 12 months of confinement, his lawyer said.

Because of good behaviour and time served, the soldier was released, according to the lawyer.

Travis King was facing 14 charges related to him fleeing across the border from South Korea into the North in July 2023 while on a sightseeing tour of the Demilitarised Zone that divides the Korean Peninsula, and prior incidents.

But he pleaded guilty to just five – desertion, assault on a noncommissioned officer, and three counts of disobeying an officer – as part of a deal that was accepted on Friday by a military judge.

“The judge, under the terms of the plea deal, sentenced Travis to one year of confinement, reduction in rank to private (E-1), forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and a dishonourable discharge,” a statement from King’s attorney Franklin Rosenblatt said.

“With time already served and credit for good behaviour, Travis is now free and will return home,” the statement said.

“Travis King has faced significant challenges throughout his life, including a difficult upbringing, exposure to criminal environments, and struggles with mental health,” Rosenblatt said.

“All these factors have compounded the hardships he faced in the military.”

At the time of the incident, King had been stationed in South Korea, and after a drunken bar fight and a stay in South Korean jail, he was supposed to fly back to Texas to face disciplinary hearings.

Instead of doing so, he walked out of the Seoul-area airport, joined a DMZ sightseeing trip and slipped over the fortified border where he was detained by the communist North’s authorities.

After completing its investigation, North Korea “decided to expel” King in September for illegally intruding into its territory. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Ame­ri­can soldier

Next In Aseanplus News

Three more suspended in HRD Corp governance reset
Probe underway after 72 tigers die at Chiang Mai, Thailand's tiger parks
Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
Duterte at International Criminal Court: How he ended up accused of murder in international tribunal
Ringgit likely to trade cautiously next week ahead of key US data
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Opinion - ‘I dream he is looking for his phone’: Cambodian mother recalls how Thai shell killed her 13-year-old son
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan

Others Also Read