‘Megaquake’ threat now at bay


THE country lifted a week-old warning that a “megaquake” potentially causing colossal damage and loss of life could strike, with the government telling people their lives could now “go back to normal”.

The alert – issued yesterday – that such a catastrophe might hit the archipelago of 125 million people prompted thousands of Japanese to cancel holidays and stock up on essentials, emptying shelves in some stores.

“Since there were no abnormalities detected in seismic activity and crustal deformation, the special call for attention ended at 5pm,” disaster management minister Yoshifumi Matsumura said.

“But it doesn’t mean the risk (of a major earthquake) has been eliminated,” Matsumura told reporters.

“We have been asking for special precautions, such as sleeping while being prepared to evacuate on an immediate basis.

“But we will no longer ask for these steps and the people of Japan are free to go back to normal lifestyles.”

Last Thursday, Japan’s weather agency said the likelihood of a megaquake was “higher than normal” following a magnitude 7.1 jolt earlier in the day that injured 15 people.

That was a particular kind of tremor known as a subduction megathrust quake, which in the past has occurred in pairs and can unleash massive tsunamis.

The advisory concerned the Nankai Trough between two tectonic plates in the Pacific Ocean.

The 800km undersea gully runs parallel to Japan’s Pacific coast, including off the Tokyo region, the world’s biggest urban area and home to around 40 million people.

In 1707, all segments of the Nankai Trough ruptured at once, unleashing an earthquake that remains the nation’s second-most powerful on record.

That quake, which also triggered the last eruption of Mount Fuji, was followed by two powerful Nankai megathrusts in 1854, and one each in 1944 and 1946, respectively.

Japan’s government has previously said the next magnitude 8-9 megaquake along the Nankai Trough has a roughly 70% probability of striking within the next 30 years. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Vietnam crowned as world’s most affordable expat destination for fifth straight year
Indonesia pledges up to 8,000 troops to Gaza, deployment in 1-2 months: Prabowo
Suspect used ChatGPT in planning drug killings in South Korea: Police
Thai army reports wildfire situation in eight border areas, originating from Cambodia
Philippines' Duterte earned global infamy, praise at home
Crew member dies after fire on cruise ship en route to Singapore; all 224 passengers safe
Stocks dip and oil climbs as Trump ramps up Iran threats
Three rural areas in Sabah declared disaster zones after floods
FBM KLCI lift slightly amid higher crude oil prices
North Korea's Kim opens 9th Party Congress citing economic achievements

Others Also Read