A big mess but no major damage

On the way: The damage (left) caused by high winds and rain after Mawar passed over Tumon Bay and a satellite image (above) showing the typhoon as moves away from Guam on Friday and is headed towards the Philippines. — AFP

HAGATNA: Chainsaws buzzed as neighbours helped neighbours clear toppled trees and began cleaning the wreckage of Typhoon Mawar, which walloped Guam as the strongest typhoon to hit the island in over two decades but appeared to have passed without leaving death or massive destruction in its wake.

While it was still early going in the recovery effort, police Sgt Paul Tapao said there did not seem to be any major damage, main roads were passable and “Guam has been very blessed to have no storm-related deaths or any serious injuries.”

To Tapao, the roar of mechanical saws was a reminder of the resilience of the storm-prone US Pacific territory and its people.

“Everyone helps out with the cleaning,” he said. “That’s the Guamanian way – that’s embedded in the blood.”

He added that there’s a saying in Chamorro – the indigenous language of the Mariana Islands – “inafa maolek”, that means cooperation, a concept of restoring harmony or order.

“Storms have taught our island to be resilient,” he said. “We’re still here.”

Still, officials said it could take weeks to clean up the mess after Mawar briefly made landfall as a Category 4 storm on Wednesday on the northern tip of the US Pacific territory of roughly 150,000 people, flipping cars, tearing off roofs and leaving trees bare.

Some villages had little or no water on Friday, Tapao said. About 51,000 customers were without electricity, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency. And nearly 1,000 people were still in shelters as of Thursday, Guam officials said.

Water contamination from the heavy rains and runoff was a concern: Guam Waterworks Authority issued a notice advising residents to boil water before drinking, and the Guam Environmental Protection Agency warned people to stay out of the sea at all beaches because of bacteria content.

The central and northern parts of the island received more than 60cm of rain as the eyewall passed. The swirling typhoon churned up a storm surge and waves that crashed through coastal reefs and swamped houses.

In the southeastern village of Yona, floodwaters reached above the waist at the home where Alexander Ken M. Aflague’s mother-in-law and sister-in-law live, he said. Two trucks and an SUV were completely submerged.

Aflague said the mood on the island was like after every storm, as people assess the damage and move toward rebuilding their lives back to normal. His major worry was shortages, saying supplies were at levels similar to what they were during the early days of the Covid-19 pandemic.

“The cleanup is the struggle but we all pitch in and help each other,” he said via text message.

Also in Yona, winds peeled back the roof of Enrique Baza’s mother’s house, allowing water to damage everything inside. His mother rode out the storm with him at his concrete residence, he said, but “my mom’s house didn’t escape.”

He drove around in a pickup after the storm passed looking for supplies to repair her roof, but most stores were without power and accepting only cash. Many wooden or tin homes were badly damaged or had collapsed.

“It’s kind of a shock,” Baza said.

There were long lines at ATMs and some stores and gas stations on Friday.

Officials said they anticipated being able to resume operations at the flooded A.B. Won Pat International Airport on Tuesday.

Guam Gov Lou Leon Guerrero gave the all-clear on Thursday evening, returning the island to its typical condition of readiness as the National Weather Service lifted its typhoon watch.

The storm was expected to move northwest for days over a large, empty expanse of ocean and enter the Philippine “area of responsibility” of the Pacific Ocean where that country’s officials monitor storms on Friday or early Saturday. Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr said on Facebook that officials were preparing and the storm could bring heavy rainfall and flooding.

Mawar regained its status as a super typhoon on Thursday, with winds reaching 241kph. By early Friday, they had strengthened to 282kph, according to the weather service. Mawar, which means “rose” in Malay, was forecast to maintain that general course and speed through Saturday.

On Friday morning, Mawar was centred 555km west-northwest of Guam and 579km west of Rota, Guam’s neighbour to the north, moving west-northwest at 23kph.

Carlo Quinonez, who lives near Tamuning, said he rode out the storm in a hotel and felt “very lucky” that the building was largely unscathed. A nearby abandoned building lost many of its windows and part of a wall on the fifth story, Quinonez said.

“It was the peak that had us questioning our safety. Floors rattling and walls creaking. Tossing debris, and roots, and fruit everywhere,” he wrote in an email.

The Navy has ordered the USS Nimitz aircraft carrier strike group to head to the island to assist in the recovery effort, according to a US official. — AP

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!

Next In Aseanplus News

Google to combine generative AI chatbot with virtual assistant
Indian javelin star Chopra goes big for gold as Barshim leaps to Asian Games record
Two failed doping tests hit Asian Games in 24 hours
Asean news headlines as at 9pm on Wednesday (Oct 4)
Activists say Indonesian state weapons makers supplying Myanmar
Thai teenager charged with murder over Bangkok mall shooting spree
Vietnam beat Indonesia in sepak takraw for second gold in Asiad
HK singer Andy Lau says he's willing to sacrifice himself for his country if he were a cop
M'sia has sent letter to Indonesia over transboundary haze issue, says Nik Nazmi
India finds two more toxic syrups months after poisoning deaths

Air Pollutant Index

Highest API Readings

    Select State and Location to view the latest API reading

    Source: Department of Environment, Malaysia

    Others Also Read