Vietnam: 12 more Covid-19 cases as 800,000 tourists have left Danang


  • Vietnam
  • Saturday, 01 Aug 2020

People observe social distancing while waiting to be tested at a makeshift rapid testing centre in Hanoi on Saturday Aug 1, 2020, as Vietnam records a rise in cases of the coronavirus. Vietnam recorded its first coronavirus death on July 31, state media reported, as the pandemic rebounds in a country previously been praised for stubbing out the contagion. - AFP

HANOI, Aug 1 (Reuters): Vietnam's health ministry on Saturday reported 12 new local Covid-19 (coronavirus) cases linked to the recent outbreak in the central city of Danang, taking total infections in the country to 558, with three deaths.

Vietnam has detected new coronavirus cases in other cities, including Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, since its first locally transmitted infections in more than three months were reported in Danang.

The ministry said in a separate statement on Saturday that up to 800,000 visitors to Danang have left for other parts of the country since July 1, adding that more than 41,000 people have visited three hospitals in the city since.

The new patients, aged between two and 78, are linked to hospitals in the coastal city, a tourist hot spot, the ministry said in a statement.

Dr. Kidong Park, World Health Organisation representative in Vietnam, told Reuters in an emailed statement that Vietnam had been preparing for the possibility of wider community transmission, after the country reported its first case in January.

"The government has always been determined to ensure that its people are protected from Covid-19 by keeping the country’s relatively low number of cases and controlling the transmission within the community," Park said.

Vietnam last week detected its first locally transmitted Covid-19 cases in more than three months in Danang, a tourism hot spot.

The total number of infections in the country has since risen to 558 from 413, with most of the new cases linked to three hospitals in Danang.

More than 41,000 people have visited the three hospitals since July 1, the ministry said in a statement.

The South-East Asian country reported its first two COVID-19 deaths on Friday, and the toll rose to three on Saturday. - Reuters
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

92% readers found this article insightful

Across the site