N. Korea: Defector at heart of Covid-19 case fled sex abuse investigation


In a photo taken on May 5, 2017 a soldier stands at the fence of the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) separating north and south Korea, near Ganghwa, where a 24-year-old man is believed to have swum back to the North after being investigated for rape allegations in the South.South Korea said on July 27 the defector who Pyoangyang claims to be its first suspected coronavirus case has never been confirmed with the disease in the South, while analysts say the North is conveniently blaming Seoul for the possibly already existing outbreak. - AFP

SEOUL, July 28 (Reuters): Last week, a 24-year-old defector returned to North Korea the way he left in 2017, authorities say, but with a coronavirus pandemic raging in the background this time, his illicit trip drew far more attention.

South Korea has identified the man only by his surname, Kim, and said he was the "runaway" who North Korea accuses of illegally crossing their shared border last week with symptoms of COVID-19.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Cargo ship navigator arrested after deadly collision in central Japan
Blackpink becomes first artist to reach 100 million subscribers on YouTube
Myitkyina Airport in Myanmar attacked by drone, MNA Airlines passenger plane hit
Ramadan buffet promotion in Brunei requires Halal certification
Woman who stabbed mother remanded seven days
Rafizi to proceed with lawsuit against Caprice over alleged defamation
Indonesian police probe Rp 25 trillion money laundering linked to illegal gold mining in West Kalimantan
China youth ditch fast living to become ‘old-school humans’; stories get 1 billion views online
Body of drowned Chinese national found
Audrey Fang case: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years

Others Also Read