The generals were the National Police’s international relations division head, Insp-Gen. Napoleon Bonaparte, and National Central Bureau (NCB)-Interpol Indonesia secretary Brig-Gen Nugroho Wibowo.
National Police spokesperson Senior-Com Argo Yuwono confirmed Napoleon and Nugroho’s removal.
He said Nugroho allegedly removed the red notice status for Djoko, allowing the fugitive to return to his home country.
“(Napoleon) violated the code of ethics, while (Nugroho) did not supervise his staff properly,” Argo said in a statement on Friday.
Napoleon was replaced by Brig-Gen Johanis Asadoma, while Brig-Gen Amir Chadra Juli Buana replaced Nugroho as the NCB-Interpol secretary.
Napoleon and Nugroho are not the only police generals to find themselves in hot water for their alleged roles in assisting Djoko.
The National Police’s internal affairs division (Propam) has launched an investigation into Brig-Gen Prasetyo Utomo, the head of the Civil Servant Investigator Supervisory and Coordination Bureau at the Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim), for allegedly signing a travel letter on June 18.
Thanks to the letter, Djoko Tjandra was able to fly from Jakarta to Pontianak in West Kalimantan on June 19 and returned on June 22 in his capacity as a consultant.
Argo previously said that Nugroho issued the travel letter “on his own initiative.”
Djoko Tjandra was sentenced to two years’ imprisonment and ordered to pay Rp 546 billion (US$37 million) in restitution by the Supreme Court in 2009 for the Bank Bali corruption case in 1998.
He escaped to Papua New Guinea and his whereabouts remained unclear, but he has reportedly travelled across the country undetected for the past three years.
He obtained an e-ID card from the South Grogol subdistrict in Jakarta and filed a request for a case review with the South Jakarta District Court on June 8. - The Jakarta Post/Asian News Network
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful