Calm returns to Low Yat Plaza

  • Nation
  • Monday, 13 Jul 2015

KUALA LUMPUR: Calm has returned to Low Yat Plaza but some retailers kept their shops shuttered despite the mall management’s request to open for business as usual.

Five people, including two photographers and one journalist, were injured and three arrested during a mob attack at the mall after midnight Sunday.

The shopping mall in Bukit Bintang area, famous for digital gadgets, opened as usual at 10am Monday, with most restaurants, IT shops and mobile phone retailers seen arranging their products and opening counters.

However, some shops were closed due to “security risk” but when asked about it, employees did not want to elaborate.

A salesgirl, who wanted to be known only as Sue and who witnessed the incident, said she was scared but her employer told her to “relax and just do her job”.

"We were asked to open our kiosk even though the risk is higher at the ground floor. After seeing that incident, obviously I'm scared, but my boss came down and told us to stay strong and just entertain the customers," said Sue, who has worked in Low Yat for nine months.

A Myanmar national, who only identified himself as Alli, said he was not scared but at noon Monday, his employer told him to close the shop.

"I am not scared because I did not do anything wrong and I am only here to work.

"Whatever happened yesterday should be left behind. We have to get on with our work," he said.

Business as usual at Low Yat.

Restaurant owner Mohd Hijrah Raj said businesses were affected during the past two days but hoped things had returned to normal.

“For me, it was a small problem. It all started because of a handphone.

"It was tense yesterday. We were all worried. It looks good now. Happy that I am able to open my restaurant," said Mohd Hijrah.

Bukit Bintang MP Fong Kui Lun said the incident was uncalled for and urged the police to investigate the matter thoroughly.

He said the Low Yat management had sent CCTV footage of the incident to the police.

"It should not happen again because businesses will be affected. I got to know about it through a friend, I was at a function.

"Police should take necessary action to make sure this place is peaceful because this is a tourist spot. My friend from China also spoke about it.

"It is under control right now and I've contacted the police for extra security. For me, this is not a racial issue," he said.

Fong also said most businesses would be open and was hopeful for a return to normalcy.

The event was triggered by an incident Saturday when a youth, who was nabbed for shoplifting, returned later with a group, and a brawl ensued between them and sales clerks at a smartphone retailer’s counter on the ground floor of the mall.

Protesters gathered outside the mall Sunday evening and police had the situation under control. However, things escalated past midnight when the mob attack took place.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Did you find this article insightful?


Across the site