Abducted women safe, say police But cops mum on ransom demands


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 10 Apr 2014

KOTA KINABALU: Two wo­men taken from Singa­mata Reef Resort a week ago are safe as gunmen have made contact more than once, but police are mum on ransom demands.

“This is all I can say, we’ve got calls and they are safe,” said Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib.

He declined to say to whom and when the calls were made by the purported kidnappers, except that Chinese tourist Gao Huayun (pic), 29, and Filipino resort worker Marcy Daya­­­­wan, 40, were alive.

Semporna resort kidnap case: 29-year-old Chinese national Gao Hua Yun from Shanghai.

They are held in an undisclosed location on an island in southern Philippines.

He also refused to say whether a demand for ransom had been made by the Abu Sayyaf-linked gunmen who raided the resort on April 2, taking the two as hostages.

A first call was made last Friday, where families of the hostages were informed that they were “safe” with the abductors.

No ransom demand was made during that call.

Comm Hamza told reporters police had classified the case as kidnap for ransom under Section 3(1) Kidnapping Act, after initially classifying it under Section 365 of the Penal Code for kidnap or abduction to wrongfully confine people.

He said police were also verifying if Daya­wan was really a hostage or a divergent.

“Her (Dayawan) background is still vague and we are checking whether she is in any way linked to this case,” he said.

Comm Hamza said 22 foreigners (15 men and seven women), including two close relatives of Dayawan, had been detained to facili­tiate investigations into the abduction, which police believed had inside help.

Police are focusing on seven women and a man among the detainees to ascertain if they had any complicity with the gunmen.

“Any information we give out now will pose a risk to the hostages,” he said.

Philippine authorities who have identified the leader of the gunmen as Murphy Ambang Ladja aka Haji Gulam, had so far stated that they have no sightings or contact with the gunmen or their hostages.

It is believed the gunmen are in the Sulu province area and may have slipped into the Abu Sayyaf stronghold of Jolo after fleeing from various islands in the southern Philippines.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Nation

Bersatu refutes allegations in viral message including appointing Azmin as deputy premier
Screenshot of Jelapang rep’s purported application to join PKR goes viral
MACC denies allegations being used as ‘political weapon’
Duo arrested over brawl near Sprint Expressway
Perak govt to work with Islamic Religious Dept to ensure Friday sermons emphasise importance of Covid-19 vaccinations
Over two million M'sians have registered for Covid-19 vaccination, says Dr Noor Hisham
Zero tolerance on domestic violence, review of laws discriminatory to women, says Wanita MCA
Likelihood of another ‘grand coalition’ of political parties after GE15, says Umno sec-gen
Govt should consider virtual Parliament sitting, says Malaysian Bar
Wanita MCA calls for Parliament to reconvene, elections only after Covid-19 pandemic under control

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers