KUALA LUMPUR: Another intrusion into Sabah by foreign elements has been thwarted by Malaysian security forces nearly a year after the Sulu armed groups’ occupation of Kampung Tandou at Felda Sahabat in Lahad Datu.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said the attempt occurred about two weeks ago.
“There was an attempt by outsiders to enter Sabah but we managed to thwart it through cooperation with other agencies, including the armed forces,” he told a press conference yesterday.
Khalid said it was due to such incidents that police were looking to boost security in Sabah’s east coast by intensifying Ops Cantas Khas.
The Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) also launched Ops Gasak to neutralise potential informers working at island resorts around Sipadan, he said.
“We will do all we can to ensure no quarters are able to attack or infiltrate the area,” he said.
Khalid announced that seven police stations in the East Sabah Security Zone (Esszone) would have 150 policemen each, while another General Operations Force (GOF) brigade would be deployed to the area this year.
“We are mobilising GOF personnel from other states for assistance,” he said, adding that marine police operations would also be intensified to cover Sabah waters.
Last month, there were rumours of another possible attack by Sulu insurgents in Sabah, which caused much anxiety among the residents there.
It is believed that about two weeks ago, security forces went on high alert following reports that several pump boats were heard approaching a police outpost near Dent Haven in the eastern tip of Sabah.
Lahad Datu residents also reported seeing military helicopters, armoured vehicles and ground troops on the move towards Felda Sahabat in the Tungku area on Dec 26 as reports circulated that armed Filipino groups were trying to intrude into Sabah waters.
Esscom officials said the military forces were on the alert and keeping track of all intelligence reports of any possible intrusion.
They said the alert followed concerns of possible retaliation over the current trial of 30 people linked to the Sulu armed group involved in the Feb 12 intrusion at Kampung Tanduo in Felda Sabahat 17.Related story:
Commando: No order to attack Sulu gunmen
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!