Graphic designer gets four months’ jail for showing lewd gesture at Johor Sultan


BATU PAHAT: A graphic designer was sentenced by the Sessions Court to four months imprisonment for making an obscene gesture at Johor Ruler Sultan Ibrahim Ibni Almarhum Sultan Iskandar.

Md Aris Husin, 40, who was charged with the offence on Dec 22 last year, had changed his plea to guilty during the first day of trial.

He had been accused of insulting Sultan Ibrahim by showing a vulgar sign in the direction of the Johor Ruler, who was travelling in a motorcade.

Md Aris was driving a Perodua Viva when he rolled down his window and showed the middle finger of his right hand after the Sultan's motorcade overtook him at KM95 of the North-South Expressway at about 11.20am on Dec 20 last year.

He was charged under Section 509 of the Penal Code with using a word or gesture intended to insult the modesty of a person, which carries a maximum jail of five years or a fine or both.

In a statement read out by Md Aris’ lawyer Mohd Hezri Shaharil during the proceedings on Monday, the accused pleaded for forgiveness from Sultan Ibrahim.

“I beg for forgiveness for my actions that hurt the Sultan of Johor, Sultan Ibrahim, and the people of Johor in general.

“I have truly repented and I am ready to accept punishment for my action.

“With this, I humbly seek forgiveness from Tuanku and promise not to repeat it,” he said.

Sessions judge Azuar Che Yusof sentenced Md Aris to a four-month jail term.

Johor Prosecution Unit head Saiful Edris Zainuddin and DPP Mustaqim Sukarno prosecuted the case.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Drop in 'delayed', 'sick' private housing projects as of April 30, says ministry
Travel time advisory issued for those driving to east coast over Aidiladha
Developer denies claims it refused to build bridge in Batu Kawan
Govt to continue supporting social enterprises with RM5mil investment, says Sim
Seven men fined over Bukit Bintang flare incident
Old ginger, potatoes and buffalo meat added to Kaamatan, Gawai festive price control list
Johor cops nab 13 suspects in connection with two murder cases
Cops nab suspect in Ranau teen's assault
Around 3.3 million vehicles expected on highways daily during Aidiladha break
Grazing grassland plan aims to reduce human-elephant conflict in Lahad Datu

Others Also Read