X Close

Regional

Published: Monday April 28, 2014 MYT 8:32:00 AM
Updated: Monday April 28, 2014 MYT 8:43:44 AM

Eight new MERS deaths take Saudi toll to 102

An Asian man wears a mouth and nose mask as he walks in a street of the Red Sea coastal city of Jeddah on April 27, 2014. - AFP

An Asian man wears a mouth and nose mask as he walks in a street of the Red Sea coastal city of Jeddah on April 27, 2014. - AFP

JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia, April 27, 2014 (AFP) - The Saudi health ministry announced eight new deaths from the MERS virus on Sunday taking the kingdom's death toll from the disease to 102.

A full 39 of the deaths have been this month, sparking growing public concern about the virus that first emerged in April 2012.

Among the latest deaths was a nine-month-old infant, the ministry said.

The number of recorded infections in the kingdom has risen to 339, it added.

Among them were four medical staff at a single hospital in Tabuk in the northwest, two doctors - one Egyptian and one Syrian - and two Philippine nurses.

Panic over the spread of the virus among medical staff in the western city of Jeddah led to the temporary closure of a main hospital's emergency room.

At least four doctors at Jeddah's King Fahd Hospital resigned earlier this month after refusing to treat MERS patients for fear of infection.

Tags / Keywords: mers virus, saudi arabia, deaths

advertisement

  1. UM lecturer Azmi Sharom faces sedition charge
  2. MH17: Names of nine returning victims released
  3. A joyous Merdeka celebration
  4. Cops arrest 156 voluntary patrol members after state-level Merdeka procession
  5. Two youths killed in crash while racing in their Evo
  6. They acted like gangsters, IGP Khalid says of PPS
  7. World champion still a dream for Chong Wei
  8. Proton offers sneak peek of new compact car
  9. Cops swoop in to arrest PPS members after Penang Merdeka parade
  10. Riot erupts after Sarawak-Perak football match in Kuching

advertisement

advertisement