Home > News > Nation
Monday March 10, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Monday March 10, 2014 MYT 8:15:41 AM
KUALA LUMPUR: All air travel security procedures at Malaysian airports will be reviewed after the discovery that two MH370 passengers boarded the flight using stolen passports.
Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said air security protocols would be further enhanced if the review found it necessary.
He said the Government would review every procedure as it did not know the actual cause of how it happened.
“At the moment, when we don’t have any solid evidence there are surely many theories swirling about but they are not conclusive,” the Prime Minister said after launching the 2014 National Reconciliation Programme here.
On the possibility that missing flight’s apparent “turn-back” indicated that there was suspicion of terrorism, Najib said: “We have to find all possible leads and investigate before we can arrive at a definite finding.”
Deputy Home Minister Datuk Dr Wan Junaidi Tuanku Jaafar had announced earlier that all ministry’s agencies, especially the police and the Immigration Department, had been instructed to conduct more stringent checks.
Najib revealed that Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott had expressed his government’s sympathies and offered two PC Orion surveillance aircraft to help in the search.
He said the two Australian aircraft would be directed to an area specified by the Department of Civil Aviation and the Royal Malaysian Air Force.
Najib said the Government was aware of the anguish of the families of the passengers who wanted answers on what happened as soon as possible.
Earlier, in his speech at the event, Najib urged all Malaysians to pray for the families of MH370 passengers.
Tags / Keywords:
Transport & Safety, MH370, Missing flight, MAS, MH370, Beijing, KL, 48 hours
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)