Home > News > Nation
Sunday February 16, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Sunday February 16, 2014 MYT 7:14:17 AM
Fleeing from danger: Patients being led to safety by SGH staff after a fire broke out at one of the hospital’s blocks. — Bernama
KUCHING: A construction worker died after a fire broke out at a building block at the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH).
Teguh Praytino, 35, from Indonesia, was believed to have died due to smoke inhalation and his body was badly burnt in the 5pm incident yesterday.
Three of the workers who were in the midst of welding work managed to escape but Teguh was trapped in the building, said Kuching Police Chief ACP Roslan Bek Ahmad.
The Fire and Rescue Department team recovered his body on the first floor of the building, which was still under construction.
According to the department director Nor Hishamuddin Mohamad, the fire was believed to be caused by sparks from the welding works, which had ignited some flammable construction materials. However, further investigation would be conducted.
More than 150 patients from all nine wards at SGH were evacuated from the hospital’s building and gathered at the tennis court for fear of toxic smoke inhalation.
No other injuries were reported.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, One construction worker dies after a fire broke out at a newly built block at the Sarawak General Hospital SGH
Construction worker killed in Shah Alam bungalow collapse (Updated)
Indonesian worker killed, two injured in construction site mishap in Pulau Tikus
Worker killed and 23 hurt in gas plant blast
One dead, nine hurt in fire at gas processing plant
Foreign worker killed at condo site in Pulau Tikus
Sabah cops investigating link between dead robbers and Sulu militants
‘Future richest man’ offers money to policemen who nabbed him
DPM: One or two high performance schools struggling to maintain the grade
Ministry leaves it to UM to handle campus security breach
Sodomy II: Proceedings to resume Monday
Sodomy II: Prosecution refutes Anwar’s allegations of conspiracy
How to pair wine with umami
Call for fuss-free airport checkout
Babysitter in child abuse case appears confused by charges
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)