Home > News > Nation
Saturday January 11, 2014 MYT 3:31:00 PM
Saturday January 11, 2014 MYT 3:32:27 PM
by cheryl hew
LENGGONG: The 10,000-year-old skeletal remains known as the Perak Man was returned to the Lenggong Archeological Gallery last October, three years after it was first put on public display at the National Museum in 2010, said Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz.
"The decision to return the Perak Man here came from the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) after they declared Lenggong Valley as a World Heritage Site in 2012.
"It is being stored in a special room to protect the condition of the remains.
"The Narional Heritage Department checks the temperature and humidity records of the room twice daily," he told reporters after launching the Lenggong Traditional Food Carnival on Saturday.
The Perak Man will be open to the public for viewing starting from Feb 15.
The Perak Man was discovered in Lenggong Valley in 1990.
Politicians and Perakians began calling for the remains to be returned to Lenggong Valley shortly after the site was recognised by Unesco as a World Heritage Site.
On a separate matter, Nazri said National Geographic was set to air a documentary on the Royal Belum Rainforest in February.
"The filming was done last year and a Teniar orang asli acted as a guide for the filming crew.
"Hopefully, the documentary will spur Western interest in the rainforest, which is the oldest rainforest in the world," he said.
Tags / Keywords:
Perak man, Tourism, Government
"Bring home Perak Man"
Perak Man back home in Lenggong
MP: Return Perak Man to us
Perak Man on public display
Perak Man welcomes visitors to new home
Little footie fans play with the big leagues
Three killed in Sarawak mine explosion
Customs: Hoarding to avoid GST won’t do any good
‘Better benefits under managed float system’
Fresh blood may be key to reviving ageing party
Dead foreign workers identified in Sarawak coal mine blast
Kenya, via its capital Nairobi, is captivating
Gallery: The week in pictures
PSN, Windows Live and 2K Games sites allegedly hacked (Updated: probably a hoax)
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)