Returning Alonso has unfinished business in Formula One


FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - March 13, 2021 Alpine's Fernando Alonso in action during testing REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

LONDON (Reuters) - After winning two world championships, finishing runner-up three times, celebrating 32 grand prix victories and making 97 podium appearances, Fernando Alonso still has unfinished business in Formula One.

The Spaniard, who will be 40 in July, is returning this season with Alpine -- the team that as Renault took him to titles in 2005 and 2006 -- in a comeback generating plenty of headlines.

Since he last raced for McLaren in 2018, Alonso has won the Le Mans 24 Hours for a second time with Toyota, competed in the Indianapolis 500 and finished 13th in the Dakar Rally.

He also won the World Endurance Championship in 2019 but, 20 years on from his debut with Minardi, still feels Formula One is where he needs to be.

"The main (reason) why I am here or came back was because I felt that I was at my best in the last couple of years... I felt that I was driving better than ever," Alonso said during last weekend's testing in Bahrain, which hosts the opening race on March 28.

"I had to make a decision on what was the next challenge after Le Mans, Indy, Dakar all the things that I tried.

"I thought that being at my best now, maybe Formula One was the place to be and I have time in the future to rethink some of the challenges that were not completed.

"That's the main thing. I felt I had something to do here again."

TOUGH YEARS

Alonso's last race win was with Ferrari in 2013, at the Spanish Grand Prix, and he has not stood on the podium since his last year with the Italian team in 2014.

Four tough years that followed with Honda-powered McLaren reaped fewer points in total than he scored in any of his five seasons with Ferrari.

Renault finished fifth last year but had three podium finishes with Daniel Ricciardo and Esteban Ocon and are looking to build on that.

"I don't fear any particular challenge," said Alonso, who will race with titanium plates in his upper jaw as a result of a road accident while cycling in Switzerland in February.

"There are a couple of things that after being two years out I will have to re-learn a little bit and get used to but in terms of driving, or approaching the weekend and working with the team, I think it should be quite smooth.

"I was not two years at home, I was racing every weekend basically. It should be fine," added the Spaniard.

Team mate Ocon, 24, agreed with that: "He doesn't look like a 39-year-old and he doesn't drive like a 39-year-old.

"Trust me, he will be ready and he will be performing at top level."

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Christian Radnedge)

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Motorsport

It’ll feel like a new start for riders when Cub Prix resumes
Motor racing-Aston Martin F1 team confirm Stroll and Vettel for 2022
Motor racing-Aston Martin F1 team owner Stroll expects Vettel to stay
Motor racing-Aston Martin break ground on new Silverstone F1 factory
Motor racing-Raikkonen indicates he will be back for the Russian GP
Nazim hopes for Bullish times ahead after maiden EuroFormula win
Motor racing-FIA will investigate latest Hamilton-Verstappen collision
Motor racing-Ricciardo earns drive in Earnhardt's car, thinks of Senna
Motor racing-Team by team analysis of the Italian Grand Prix
Motor racing-Raducanu's success rubs off on F1 favourite Ricciardo

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers