Good chance for isolated quintet to see action


ALL is not lost for five Japanese players who had contracted Covid-19 during the Indo-nesian Open in Jakarta last week to see action in the Malaysian Open.

The Nippon Badminton Association, in a statement, have confirmed that the players were positive during the Indonesian Open.

The five, who were absent from a training session at the Axiata Arena in Bukit Jalil yesterday, are women’s singles player Sayaka Takahashi, women’s doubles Yuki Fukushima-Sayaka Hirota and mixed doubles Yuta Watanabe-Arisa Higashino.

According to the statement, the first player, who started showing symptoms on June 23, tested positive a day later while four others tested positive on June 25.

Based on the standard operating procedures, a player who tests positive must undergo a five-day quarantine. The player would be able to play if the RTD antigen result is negative on the fifth day.

The Badminton Association of Malaysia secretary Datuk Kenny Goh said the eligibility of the players would be known today. “The players need to undergo a five-day quarantine. Most likely there will be a decision during the team managers’ meeting,” said Kenny.

The first round matches will be spread over two days and if the players are scheduled to play on Wednesday, there is a possibility of them seeing action.

Article type: free
User access status:
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Badminton

Rashid wants Zii Jia to be cautious of Leverdez but Chong Wei feels otherwise
Title holder Yamaguchi hopes to shine at home again
Impressive talent pool at AJBC qualifying round
Rocky road ahead
India’s top pair eye cherry on cake inworld meet
Justin out to make full use of rare opportunity
Injury puts paid to Sindhu’s hopes of vying for world title
Three Commonwealth golds, but Peng Soon far from satisfied
Pek Siah shows a woman coach can be equally successful
Let Rexy scout for right man for the job, says Jones

Others Also Read