Two people have been detained after more than 60 were injured in northern China on Sunday when gas canisters being used to cook for them at a funeral exploded.
Sixty-six people suffered burns in the blast, which an initial investigation found was caused by leakage of liquefied gas from tubes that were worn out, the local government said on Tuesday.
A cook was using the gas at around noon to prepare food for funeral guests gathering in a village in Bazhou, Hebei province, when a gas leak triggered an explosion, according to a government statement on WeChat, China’s most popular social media platform.
Some of the injured had sustained serious burns but none were critically injured, the statement said.
An unspecified number of people have been held responsible for the incident, and two of these were under criminal detention, it said.
In a video showing the explosion’s aftermath, posted by ifeng.com, people can be seen running to vacate the scene as dozens of chairs lie scattered on a road in the village where two lines of dinner tables had been set up for guests, with cooking equipment and two gas canisters alongside.
In September, five people died after a liquefied gas tank exploded in a residential building in Hebei’s Baoding city, official media reported.
A total of at least 80 people were killed and over 900 were injured in blasts related to the commonly used cooking fuel last year, according to a report by Gas Explosion, a WeChat public account specialising in data analysis of such incidents.
More from South China Morning Post:
- Death toll from China chemical plant blast rises to 78
- Chinese villagers near site of truck blast that killed 23 people say their air is good and their weather is fine
- Chinese chemical factory blast kills 23, injures 22