Ulu Tiram shooter’s family of five rearrested under Sosma


KUALA LUMPUR: Police have rearrested the five suspects who were detained after the Ulu Tiram police station shooting, under the Security Offences (Special Measures) Act (Sosma), says the Inspector-General of Police.

“For the Ulu Tiram case, we have detained the family of five under Sosma today (yesterday),” Tan Sri Razarudin Husain said.

He reiterated that the main suspect who had killed Konst Ahmad Azza Fahmi Azhar, 22, and Konst Muhamad Syafiq Ahmad Said, 24, was not a member of Jemaah Islamiah (JI).

“After calling more than 47 witnesses and looking through police data, we found no connections (between him and JI), even though based on our data, his father has (connections to JI),” he told a press conference at Menara KPJ here yesterday.

The IGP added that investigations were being conducted by both the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and the Special Branch. He also said the police would review the need to install more lighting and CCTV cameras.

“The SOP (standard operating procedure) for all police stations is present. However, we also understand that sometimes manpower is limited – for example, when one policeman is assigned to patrol within the station and another at inquiry to receive reports,” he said.

Following the shooting on May 17 that also led to the assailant’s death, the police arrested five of his family members aged between 19 and 62.

In an unrelated matter, Razarudin said the police would need to determine a motive behind the acid attack on national footballer Faisal Halim before they can say whether it was related to the other cases involving footballers. He was asked if the police had identified links between Faisal’s case and the robbery of Akhyar Rashid in Kuala Terengganu on May 2.“If we can determine the motive, then maybe we can say this: Is it a planned incident to make it one case?” he said.

Regarding the burglary suffered by Selangor centre-back Ahmad Khuzaimi Piee at his home in Shah Alam on Wednesday, Razarudin said it was likely that the robber had studied the victim’s comings and goings.

On the newly viral video of the acid attack on Faisal, the IGP said investigations were being conducted based on the footage.

“Let’s say a witness tells us something that goes against the footage, we will call back the witness. And I believe that the CID has corrected the statement.

“Perhaps during the incident we also jadi kelam kabut (confused) and did not realise what had happened. If there is a need, we will call back witnesses to add or correct statements that had been given before,” he said, adding that 23 people have had their statements recorded so far.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Ulu Tiram , police station , shooting

   

Next In Nation

Party leadership's Beijing trip discussed at Seremban MCA AGM
Diesel subsidy rationalisation may not be possible for Sabah, Sarawak due to wide usage, says Anwar
Govt to reimburse RM100mil to Sarawak to upgrade schools, clinics, says PM Anwar
Sg Bakap polls: BN to rally support for Pakatan candidate, says Tok Mat
Sg Bakap polls: 'It's not just academic', Fahmi plays up PH candidate's PhD
PM pays courtesy visit to Sarawak Governor in Kuching
Search for four missing fishermen to expand to coastal areas of Tanjung Segenting
Resolve basic infrastructure needs in Sabah, Shafie urges state government
Former Star photographer battling Parkinson's touched to receive Tabung Kasih@Hawana aid
Leave Sabah seats to local parties, says Kitingan

Others Also Read