Revoke Dr M’s Tun-ship title, govt urged


KUALA LUMPUR: Revoke former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir's Mohamad’s Tun-ship title if he continues to attack the royal institution, says a senior DAP government backbencher.

RSN Rayer (PH-Jelutong) appealed to Dr Mahathir to stop any attacks against the royal institution.

"I would also urge the government to consider revoking Dr Mahathir's Tun-ship if he continues to attack the royal institution," he said in his debates on the Auditor-General’s Report 2021 Series 2 in the Dewan Rakyat on Tuesday (June 6).

He said that Dr Mahathir was also looking to cooperate with Perikatan Nasional chairman Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin to go against Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim.

"If we see, he (Dr Mahathir) is involved in the Malay Proclamation and possibly working with Pagoh (Muhyiddin), who had previously 'betrayed' him.

"The two leaders wanted to create problems and wanted to stop Tambun (Anwar) from doing his job to protect the welfare of the people," he said.

On June 3, police completed the investigation paper on Dr Mahathir over his alleged insult of the royal institution.

Police secretary Datuk Noorsiah Mohd Saaduddin said the investigation paper will be referred to the Attorney General's Chambers.

"Police have completed the investigation paper on Dr Mahathir concerning the alleged insult of the royal institution.

"The paper will be referred to the Attorney General's Chambers on June 6, 2023 (Tuesday), in line with the provision under Article 145(3) of the Federal Constitution," she said in a statement.

At the same time, she said the investigations on Dr Mahathir regarding the Malay Proclamation issue are still at the preliminary stage.

On Monday (June 5), it was reported that police had recorded Dr Mahathir's statement following his remarks on the royal institution as well as the Malay Proclamation issue.

Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Nation

State polls: Juwairiya will get access to Prime Minister’s Department if elected, says Anwar
Trade unionist G. Rajasekaran passes away
Sabah's economic direction on right track, says PGR info chief
Redevelopment of Bukit Assek to begin end of next year, Abang Johari
Bersatu pioneer leader Muhammad Faiz Na’aman quits party
Man killed, two injured after car crashes into electric pole
Accountant assaults ex-husband over unpaid debt
KL OCPDs must be more hands on, city's top cop says
State polls: No problem retaining Penang, Negri Sembilan and S'gor, says Rafizi
State polls: Selangor will lose out if not under unity govt, says Zahid

Others Also Read