THE pirating of Malaysian director Chong Keat Aun’s film Story of Southern Islet was featured in an op-ed published by China state media CCTV, Sin Chew Daily reported.
Entitled “Thunderbolt! Piracy of film and television series needs a ‘crackdown’”, the opinion piece called out online movie pirates and urged authorities to clamp down on the bootlegging of films in China.
Included in the op-ed published on Aug 30 was Chong’s own letter appealing to the pirates to change their ways.
When the article was published, Chong shared it on Facebook and said he was pleasantly surprised.
“When news of the (illegal) recording of the film came to light, I took a break from what I had planned to address this issue. At present, I do not plan on remaining silent.
“This is to defend the production team, the financiers, as well as the film festivals and movie fans.
“In just two days, we have received help from our colleagues from the Beijing International Film Festival to create awareness on Weibo.
“What came as a pleasant surprise was the article published by Chinese state media CCTV,” he wrote.It was earlier reported that pirated footage of Story of Southern Islet had appeared on various Chinese websites at 8am on Aug 28, two days after it was shown at the 25th Fantasia International Film Festival in Montreal, Canada.
Chong, 43, who hails from Kedah, believed that the bootlegged footage was secretly recorded during the festival, where the film had won the AQCC-Camera Lucida Prize.
Story of Southern Islet tells the story of a woman’s quest to find a cure for her husband, who is thought to have been cursed by black magic. It was inspired by Chong’s experiences growing up and local beliefs.
It had earlier won Chong Best Director in Taiwan’s Golden Horse Awards as well as two other awards in China’s 12th Youth Film Manual Annual Ceremony.
> Just one day after China’s restriction on gaming hours for children was enforced, a boy allegedly stabbed his father for not allowing him to play video games, Sin Chew Daily also reported.
Photos of a boy, believed to be just eight years old, being led out of his house by riot police while in handcuffs went viral earlier this week.
Nearby residents said the boy attacked his father with a knife after not being allowed to play video games.
It was earlier reported that starting on Sept 1, China had banned children from playing videogames for more than three hours per week.
Those aged under 18 will now only be able to play online games from 8pm to 9pm on Fridays, weekends and public holidays.
● The above article is compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with this ' >'sign, it denotes a separate news item.