Nora Anne mystery revisited


SEREMBAN: Coroner Maimoonah Aid, who will be presiding over a inquest into the death of 15-year-old Nora Anne Quoirin beginning Aug 24, spent three hours at the resort where the girl first went missing just over a year ago.

Accompanied by the inquest conducting team, police forensics and Fire and Rescue Department personnel, the coroner arrived at the property at around 9.15am and visited the spot where the remains of the girl were eventually found after a gripping search.

State deputy police chief Senior Asst Comm Che Zakaria Othman, who was also present, said Maimoonah’s visit was to gain some insights into the case.

“This visit was to allow her to personally see the place where the family had stayed and the spot where Nora Anne’s remains were found as well as the surrounding area before the inquest starts.

“The police merely facilitated her visit here and I can’t say more,” he said when met by reporters.

Also present were lawyers representing Nora Anne’s family and the resort.

Nora Anne and her family arrived at a resort in Pantai Hills near here from the United Kingdom for a two-week holiday.

The girl, who was of French-Irish parentage and had learning difficulties, came with her parents Sebastian Marie Philipe and Meabh Jaseprine Quoirin and younger

siblings Innes Julia and Maurice Arthure, but she never left the place alive.

She disappeared from the room where she was supposed to have spent the night with her siblings

on Aug 3 last year and her unclothed remains were found 10 days later in a stream some 2km away from the resort.

Police have ruled out foul play in her death. An autopsy on her remains revealed that she had died two or three days before her body was found from internal bleeding, probably caused by prolonged hunger and stress.

She had also suffered intestinal damage.

However, her family believes that there was a criminal element to her disappearance as she was a special needs child and they claimed that she had never before left them voluntarily.

The court will hear testimonies from 64 of the 102 witnesses shortlisted by inquest coordinating officer Muhamad Iskandar Ahmad during the hearing.

Nora Anne’s family is in the UK and will not be attending the hearing.

Asked if there was a likelihood of the coroner visiting the place again, SAC Che Zakari said this would depend on the court.

“If there is a request, we can always come again,” he added.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 18
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Nora Anne Quoirin , inquest , death , missing

   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

83% readers found this article insightful

Next In Nation

Shafie: No plans to challenge Emergency declaration in court, appeal letter sent to King
Negri Islamic Affairs Dept dismisses claims of mosque worshippers violating Covid-19 SOP
'Green light' for gambling syndicates to operate? Such a malicious lie, says IGP
EDUCATION: Back to school blues
Selangor Ruler, Tengku Permaisuri direct people to be compassionate to strays
Transfer of SRC International trial judge to replace retiring judge in another court
Dr Mah: Decision to allow only SPM, STPM students to return to school 'balanced'
Sabah's pygmy elephants could be wiped out if nothing is done, says conservationist
Judge who presided over Najib's SRC trial transferred to civil court
Covid-19: 'Pandemic fatigue' making people less vigilant, say medical academicians

Stories You'll Enjoy