Taiping school is tops

IPOH: SMJK Hua Lian in Taiping is the top school in the country based on the average grade obtained by its students for the Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (STPM) examination.

The school obtained the highest school grade point average (GPS) with a score of 3.35 for the 2015 STPM examination.

State Education Department director Rozi Puteh Ismail said the school also maintained its position of achieving 100% full passes in all subjects for two consecutive years.

Yesterday, when announcing the STPM results for the state, Rozi also presented a certificate to the school’s Sixth Form senior assistant Chuah Bee Hoon.

Chuah said the school practised the peer-learning concept.

“When the students are willing to learn, the teachers are willing to teach,” she said after receiving the certificate.

Rozi also presented a certificate to SMJK Sam Tet for producing the country’s top scorer, Choong Wai Kean.

Choong obtained five principals with a cumulative grade point average (CGPA) of 4.0.

The school’s Sixth Form senior assistant Ng Sook Chin received the certificate on behalf of the school.

She said Choong, who is from Bidor, only attended tuition classes for the Pengajian Am subject and had put in a lot of effort in his studies with assistance from his teachers.

“He is a humble and well-mannered student, who has been very consistent in his studies.

“Choong used to stay in a hostel in Ipoh while studying at the school, and he is a very independent student,” she said, adding that the teachers had expected him to obtain straight As.