KOTA KINABALU: Former Suhakam commissioner Jannie Lasimbang (pic) was charged with organising the Bersih 4 rally on Aug 29 and Aug 30 here without a permit.
She claimed trial in the magistrate’s court to the charges under the Peaceful Assembly Act 2012 yesterday.
Lasimbang, 53, was released on a bail of RM6,000 with RM2,000 deposited with two local sureties.
Magistrate Cindy Mc Juce Balitus fixed her trial for Nov 23 and 24.
In the first charge, Lasimbang is accused of organising a gathering at the Likas Bay public park between 2pm and 9.30pm on Aug 29 without giving a 10-day notice to Kota Kinabalu City Hall prior to the event.
The court was told that it was a condition set by city police chief Assist Comm M. Chandra.
Lasimbang faces a maximum fine of up to RM10,000 for each charge, if found guilty.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Chow Siang Kong asked for a RM5,000 bail for each offence and for Lasimbang to report to the police station once a week.
Her counsel Ram Singh however applied for a lower bail of RM500 for each offence, saying Lasimbang was a former Suhakam commissioner and was involved in various non-governmental organisations.
Ram said there was also no need to make her report to the police station once a week as Lasimbang was a true Sabahan fighting for Sabahan rights and had no reason to go anywhere else.
Lasimbang was accompanied by members of her family and also supporters when she arrived at court at 8am.
Later, she expressed her shock over the charges under Section 9(5) as she claimed that a notice had been submitted 11 days before the gathering.
She claimed the organisers were even called in by the police who gave no indication that they were not allowed to assemble.
She alleged that she was being selectively prosecuted.