ONE of the Selangor's biggest squatter settlements at Kampung Rimba Jaya, Shah Alam, will be demolished by the end of the month if the state government has its way.
More than 500 of the 1,074 residents have signed offer letters to move out by Aug 28 but some have refused.
The offer letter, issued by developer Khidmat Tulin Sdn Bhd, states that the families will be relocated to temporary homes at Kampung Baru Hicom where they would be allowed to stay rent-free until permanent homes had been built.
The letter also said each family would be given RM1,000 for moving costs to the transit homes and from there to their permanent homes.
While more than half of the families are prepared to move, at least a third believe the demolition exercise would not be carried out if they did not move.
According to them, a similar situation happened about 13 years ago, when the then landowner Ho Hup Development issued evacuation notices.
Resident Mohd Yassir Hashim said the villagers thought they would be allowed to stay permanently as the government had provided them with electricity and water.
Yassir added that he had no intention of vacating his house.
“I will stay on even if everyone else moves out of the village,'' he said.
A. Muthukannu, who has been staying in the village for more than 20 years, felt the residents were being badly treated and the RM35,000 low-cost flat offered to them was not a good deal.
“I'm confident that this evacuation exercise will fail as many of us are not keen to move to the transit homes,'' he said
Idris Shaari, 37, said he had not been working for more than a year due to a back injury and his only source of income was selling nasi lemak outside his house.
“I do not know how we are going cope and I am not sure I can obtain a loan to purchase the low-cost flat,'' he said, adding that he had been staying in the area since 1991.
Another resident, Omar Awang, 36, said he had bought his house in 1989 for RM5,000 and had since spent about RM10,000 on repairs and renovations.
“I have to consider my three children as their current schools are too far from the proposed transit homes,'' he said, adding that he had not made any decision yet.
Related Stories:Low-cost flats first priority for developer