Not everything that humans find tasty can be eaten by their four-legged friends. Certain foods and drinks are poisonous or, in the worst case, even fatal for dogs, such as grapes or raisins. They contain oxalic acid, which can cause acute kidney failure in pets.Experts have made a list of other foods that can be problematic for dogs:
> Coffee: A substance found in caffeine is to blame. Methylxanthine affects a dog’s nervous system and can even lead to death in some cases. Seizures, trembling, restlessness, hyperthermia, diarrhoea, vomiting or cardiac arrhythmia can all point to poisoning.
> Cocoa, chocolate: Theobromine, a bitter alkaloid of the cocoa plant, is poisonous for four-legged friends. For puppies and small dog breeds, even small amounts can be life-threatening.
> Raw beans: Phytohemagglutinin is a toxin found in raw beans that, when consumed, leads to a dog’s red blood cells clumping together. The result: liver swelling, a fever and abdominal cramps. When cooked, however, beans are not a danger to dogs.
> Onions: Sulfuric acid destroys a dog’s red blood cells. Onions are toxic to dogs starting from 5g to 10g per kilo of body weight. It can result in diarrhoea, blood in the urine, vomiting, and faster breathing.
> Garlic, wild garlic and chives: They destroy the haemoglobin in red blood cells. The dog then suffers from anaemia.
> Poultry bones: They split easily, injuring a dog’s mouth, throat or stomach.
> Avocados: The persin present in avocados can cause diarrhoea and vomiting in dogs. The large stone is not a toy either; pets can choke on them.
> Xylitol: About 10 to 30 minutes after consuming this sugar substitute, an excessive amount of insulin is released, leading to a drop in the blood sugar level. This is life-threatening. – dpa