Red Bull family’s US$8bil wealth boom tops all Asian dynasties


The Yoovidhyas, the Thai family that invented Red Bull, have added US$7.8bil (RM34bil) to their fortune since January 2022, the biggest gain of any Asian dynasty, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. — Reuters

SINGAPORE: The return to normal life after Covid-19 has thrown up some big winners, like the world’s most popular energy drink – and the family that brought it into being.

Scenes across the globe show how Red Bull is benefiting, from revellers in Singapore gulping the beverage at the first ZoukOut music festival in four years to commuters on London’s packed morning trains choosing it over coffee.

Red Bull posted record revenue last year, selling more than 11 billion cans and giving it the biggest market for the category.

The Yoovidhyas, the Thai family that invented it, have added US$7.8bil (RM34bil) to their fortune since January 2022, the biggest gain of any Asian dynasty, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index.

They were worth more than US$27bil (RM119bil) as of March 14, the majority coming from their stake in privately held Red Bull. Most of the world’s richest families lost money in the market turmoil of the past year.

“Energy drinks have become synonymous with an active lifestyle,” said Simon Chadwick, professor of sport and geopolitical economy at Skema Business School in Paris.

People exercising again and going back to the office to work longer hours “will require energy drinks,” he added.

Chaleo Yoovidhya, the scion of the family, came up with the highly caffeinated beverage in the mid-1970s when he was selling medications in Thailand and decided to expand into consumer goods. He named it Krating Daeng, Thai for “red bull.”

During a trip to Asia, Austrian marketer Dietrich Mateschitz discovered the drink helped him ease his jet lag. The two teamed up to found Red Bull in 1984 and turned it into a global brand that now also has soccer and auto-racing teams as well as sponsorships in extreme sports like mountain biking and cliff diving.

It benefited after the pandemic from being sold more than competitors in bars and restaurants, according to Kenneth Shea, an analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence.

“Red Bull is among the most successful lifestyle marketers in consumer goods,” said Howard Telford, senior industry manager of soft drinks at consultancy Euromonitor International.

That “allows Red Bull to maintain a strong, premium identity in a thriving category for functional beverages.”

The Yoovidhyas control 51% of Red Bull, while the remaining 49% belongs to Mateschitz’s son, who became Europe’s richest millennial after Dietrich’s death last year.

The company, based in Austria, has mostly been run by the minority shareholder. The Thai family also owns TCP Group, the giant that produces the energy drink in Thailand and other Asian markets.

The family has had its controversies. In 2012, Chaleo’s grandson, Vorayuth, was involved in a hit-and-run case while driving his Ferrari in Bangkok that left a police officer dead.

The heir, also known by his nickname, Boss, avoided prosecution by fleeing Thailand on a private jet in 2017. He and his family have denied all charges, and Thai officials dropped them three years ago. — Bloomberg

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

RedBull , revenue , sales , Yoovidhyas , energydrinks

   

Next In Business News

Temasek to invest up to US$198 mln in Australian ETF manager Betashares
Seoul aims to raise US$1.3bil in dollar bond sale
Asia spot LNG prices hit six-month high
Havas weaves its magic on Domino’s Pizza M’sia
How convenience stores become big names in Asia
Chile says Saudi Arabia mining minister to visit
Sarawak in logging road restoration plan
Adelson heir steers Mavericks, plays the long game on casino
Seatrium under probe over potential offences relating to Brazil corruption case
India in talks with Equinor on oil reserves

Others Also Read