Tiger Airways IPO priced at mid range


SINGAPORE: Facing a tough travel industry outlook, Singapore budget carrier Tiger Airways priced its US$178mil IPO – Asia’s first airline offering in nearly five years – in the middle of an indicative range.

Tiger’s initial public offering comes as some traditional carriers are pushed to the brink of bankruptcy and state airlines are turning to governments for aid.

Tiger, 49%-owned by Singapore Airlines (SIA) and part-owned by state investor Temasek, set the IPO price at a mid-range S$1.50 a share, valuing the offer at around S$248mil (US$178mil), said two sources close to the deal.

A Tiger Airways spokesman declined to confirm the final price.

“Since this is the first airline IPO in so many years, some people might get a bit excited, although I think the pricing is too high,” said one analyst at a local brokerage.

The IPO values Tiger at 12.64 times its March 2011 earnings, compared with Malaysian rival AirAsia, which currently trades at around 7.6 times its 2010 earnings.

One of the sources said institutional sales were more than four times subscribed and the public offer was more than 20 times subscribed.

The airline will list its shares on the Singapore Exchange on Friday. Citigroup, Morgan Stanley and DBS are handling the IPO, according to the prospectus.

Tiger said it would use the proceeds to fund aircraft purchases and set up a new operating base, as well as to pay off some existing debt.

The airline has grown rapidly since it began operations in Singapore in September 2004 and briefly turned profitable in its third year of service.

It posted a S$50.8mil loss for the year to March 2009 due to costs incurred in starting up operations in Australia, where it competes against Qantas Airways Ltd’s Jetstar.

Tiger has 17 Airbus A-320 aircraft in service, with orders for a further 55 A-320s for delivery by 2016.

The airline is selling around 165 million shares, or about 30% of its enlarged share capital. About 94.2% of its IPO comprises new shares, while the remaining 5.8% are vendor shares held by Indigo Partners. — Reuters

RyanAsia, a company controlled by the founding family of Irish budget airline RyanAir, will divest some of its stake in Tiger if an over-allotment option is exercised.

Latest business news from AP-Wire

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
   

Did you find this article insightful?

Yes
No

Next In Business News

Facebook’s AI mistakenly bans ads for struggling businesses
CPO futures to trade in yo-yo mode next week
More than just painting the town red
Jobs in the new normal
GLOBAL LNG-Asian spot prices rise on oil surge and heating demand
Airbus re-sells six unwanted jets built for AirAsia
Hong Kong is the real loser from new China copper contract
OPEC+ panel's informal online talks postponed to Sunday
Oil prices post weekly gain ahead of OPEC+ meeting
GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks at record high but yields fall, US$ pressured

Stories You'll Enjoy