Victims’ families cry for justice


Families of people killed in the Philippines’ war on drugs are hopeful that a formal investigation into possible crimes against humanity approved by judges from the International Criminal Court earlier this week will result in justice for the victims.

Rights groups say Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte incited deadly violence and accuse police of murdering unarmed suspects on a massive scale as part of the anti-narcotics campaign launched in 2016.

“I am grateful that our situation and the killing of my brother are being paid attention to,” said Mary Jane Gerangco, 40, in Manila.

“Our hope is that our family get justice and those who are at fault must be held accountable.”

Gerango’s younger brother was killed by police in September 2016 after being tagged as an alleged drug dealer.

The Philippine National Police issued a statement saying the accusations were repeatedly proven to be false, and that the force “neither condones nor covers up abuses and other forms of wrongdoings in our ranks”.

“Our aggressive campaign against illegal drugs will continue,” the office of the police spokesperson said, noting a 64% fall in the drug-related crimes in the past five years.

Remains of seven Filipinos killed under Duterte’s bloody war on drugs were exhumed on Friday for cremation, after leases in public cemeteries north of the capital have expired.

Authorities have killed more than 6,100 suspected drug dealers and users since Duterte took office in June 2016.

Rights group say the police summarily executed suspects, which the policy deny, saying they acted out of self-defence in sting operations.

Judges in The Hague said on Wednesday that prosecutors’ materials showed the anti-drug campaign “cannot be seen as a legitimate law enforcement operation”, but rather as a systematic attack on civilians.

The presidential palace and police did not respond to requests for comment yesterday.

The Philippine government on Thursday said it will not cooperate with the ICC’s probe, or allow any investigators into the country.

“The opening of this investigation is a way, not only to get justice but also for them to heal and get closure,” said Catholic priest Father Flavie Chalaf after blessing the remains of the exhumed victims.

“If it is true that you are clean, why must you hide?” Chalaf said, addressing Duterte’s government. — Reuters

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

war , drugs , Rodrigo Duterte

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean News Headlines as at 9pm on Wednesday (Oct 20)
3,646 new Covid-19 cases recorded in Vietnam
Miss Grand International chief says Phuket pageant will go ahead despite objections
Singapore's Covid-19 measures to be extended till Nov 21, to be reviewed at 2-week mark
Hidden kingdom of mud and clay enchants Siem Reap
Myanmar's economic woes due to gross mismanagement since coup: US official
Indonesian-Chinese consortium begins study on US$560mil coal-to-methanol plant
Singapore is No. 2 in the world for attracting and developing talent: Insead
Xi: Advance sound growth of digital economy
Covid-19 tally surpasses 490,000 in Myanmar with 1,133 new cases

Others Also Read


Vouchers