PETALING JAYA: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak has joined other world leaders in condemning the attack on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in Paris that killed 12 people.
"Malaysia condemns in the strongest terms all acts of violence. We stand in unity with the French people.
"We must fight extremism with moderation," he said in a Twitter posting, Thursday.
In a statement on Thursday, the Foreign Ministry said nothing justifies taking innocent lives amid the most deadly militant attack in the country in decades.
"The Government of Malaysia strongly condemns the attack on the French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo on Jan 7 (Wednesday).
"Nothing justifies taking innocent lives. Malaysia is united with the families of the victims, the Government of France, and the French people.
"As the Prime Minister of Malaysia has said, we must fight extremism with moderation, cross-cultural understanding and respect," said the statement.
On Wednesday, three gunmen stormed the Paris offices of Charlie Hebdo, a weekly known for lampooning Islam and other religions.
An editor-in-chief and three cartoonists were among the victims killed in the attack.
French security forces on Thursday launched a massive manhunt for two brothers over the Islamist attack on Charlie Hebdo - the deadliest attack in France in half a century.
The attack triggered an international outpouring of solidarity, with demonstrations spreading from Moscow to Washington, as world leaders and other media including newspaper cartoonists united in their revulsion of the daylight assault.
In the hunt for the attackers, police published pictures of the wanted men in an urgent appeal for information as a manhunt stretched long into the night with a raid by elite anti-terror police in the northern city of Reims.
Arrest warrants had been issued for Cherif Kouachi, 32, a known extremist convicted in 2008 for involvement in a network sending fighters to Iraq, and his 34-year-old brother, Said.
An 18-year-old suspected of being an accomplice in the attack at the headquarters of the Charlie Hebdo newspaper was taken into custody after surrendering to the police.
A source close to the case said Hamyd Mourad surrendered after “seeing his name circulating on social media”.
Flags were to fly at half-mast Thursday as President Francois Hollande declared a day of national mourning - only the fifth of the past 50 years.