Malaysia and Bangladesh ink deal to recruit 1.5 million workers


Foreign labourers working at a construction site in Kuala Lumpur. - Filepic

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia and Bangladesh have finally signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to receive 1.5 million workers in stages over the next three years under the government-to-government (G2G) G2G Plus System.

According to the Daily Star, Bangladesh Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Nurul Islam and Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot signed the MoU at Dhaka’s Expatriates' Welfare office at 10am (12pm Malaysian time).

Bangladesh cabinet on February 8 approved the draft MoU despite a series of controversies after Malaysia last year announced that it would hire Bangladeshi workers through the private sector.

Under the deal, levy for Bangladeshi workers is to be fixed at RM1,946 (Tk37,000). 

The deal has courted some controversies including the Bangladesh Association of International Recruiting Agencies (Baira) signing a letter protesting the possible monopoly by a “syndicate led by a Malaysian company” in hiring Bangladeshi workers there.

Earlier in San Francisco, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said he will discuss the Government's decision to recruit 1.5 million Bangladeshis with his deputy Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.

Najib, who has been for the past week on a working trip to California, United States, said that the Government would ensure any move taken was to fulfil the needs of the economy.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

STPM candidates evacuated from flood-hit villages in Paitan
Missing angler in Pontian identified as 56YO subcontractor
GOF: RM3.37mil in e-waste seized in Seberang Prai raid
PAS spiritual leader Hashim Jasin in ICU at Penang Hospital after stent procedure
JPJ issues 456 notices in CNY motorcycle operation at Sentul Pasar toll
RM3.5mil lost to love scams in January 2026, says cops
Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe

Others Also Read