Home > News > Nation
Saturday July 19, 2014 MYT 6:17:00 PM
Saturday July 19, 2014 MYT 6:19:50 PM
by victoria brown
PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines (MAS) does not believe it made a mistake in continuing with the usual flight path over Ukraine because it had been deemed safe by the International Civil Aviation Authority (ICAO), said the airline's director of operations Capt Izham Ismail at a press conference, Saturday.
“I feel that we did not make a mistake. The Notice to Airmen (Notam) was published with a restriction of 22,000 feet and we requested to fly at 35,000 feet, and air traffic control told us to fly at 33,000,” said Capt Izham.
He said that the ICAO is the highest body in terms of aviation safety, and that it had deemed the flight path MH17 took safe for travel.
“ICAO are responsible to come up with the notice to airmen to warn the industry of any conflict and dangers,” he said.
When asked about other airlines avoiding the airspace above Ukraine, Capt Izham said that those were decisions made by the individual airlines based on their own individual analysis.
MH17 disappeared from radar screens in eastern Ukraine at around 1415 GMT on Thursday, hours after taking off from Amsterdam’s Schiphol airport bound for Kuala Lumpur.
The Boeing 777 is believed to have been shot down 50km from the Ukraine-Russia border.
Tags / Keywords:
MH17 crash, MAS, Ukraine, flight path
Woman loses RM42,000 to healer
Employment agencies threaten to stop sending Indonesian workers
Grandpas love to work in disaster areas
Arms cache found after drug bust
Plenty of great fun and adventure pursuits in Adelaide
Healthy living in the heart of Ampang
There’s hope for your tired, ageing peepers
Twitter: Now with video uploads and group direct messaging
Angry mayor hits out at staff
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)