Home > News > Nation
Saturday July 12, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday July 12, 2014 MYT 8:46:06 AM
by mazwin nik anis AND rahimy rahim
PETALING JAYA: Zhang Jian, the self-proclaimed Chinese millionaire who is allegedly operating an illegal multi-level marketing scheme here has left the country for Taiwan.
He is apparently not who he really is as authorities believe that he is using a fake name to conduct business in Malaysia.
Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Alias Ahmad said investigations into Zhang revealed that he refused to provide his actual name.
“Our investigations showed he has left the country for Taiwan but we believe he will be back soon. When he comes back, we will be ready for him,” he said when contacted.
Alias said the ministry’s enforcement officers would intensify raid on premises where the multi-level marketing scheme are operating, with four premises – in Puchong, Petaling Jaya, Skudai (Johor) and Penang – already sealed and goods confiscated.
“The ministry’s offices nationwide are on the lookout for activities carried out by the company. Since it is an illegal set-up, we will act against the company if it conducts any kind of activity,” he said.
The ministry declared the multi-level marketing scheme by Zhang as illegal as the company is not registered with the Companies Commission of Malaysia and it does not have a licence from the ministry to conduct multi-level marketing.
Zhang’s business model has raised eyebrows. According to the company’s online advertisements, people can earn big money without having to work.
By merely investing RM300, members are guaranteed an income of between RM2,700 and RM6,800 a month – without lifting a finger.
It is believed the company had collected around RM300mil since it began its business in Malaysia said to be sometime late last year.
Huge ad on Zhang taken down
Tags / Keywords:
Government, Nation, zhang jian, multi-level marketing
Whereabouts of YSLM ‘millionaire’ still unknown
Venture into franchise business, youths urged
Public opinion on Kidex sought
Musa Aman: Call for Sabah secession is irresponsible
Cops still trying to contact owner of seditious FB page
Khalid ‘fully aware’ his sacking is valid, says PKR
Azmin announces Selangor exco portfolios
Cops arrest eight in connection with spate of robberies
Body of woman found chopped up and burnt
Smooth traffic on Causeway as new toll charges kick in on Singapore side
Malaysian mother in Sweden child abuse case returns home
Turkey's Erdogan says new constitution priority after 2015 election
Serbia manager Advocaat axes misfits Subotic and Ljajic
California bans paparazzi drones
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)