Secretive demolition of Raffles house


ON Aug 3, 1808, the wife of Thomas Stamford Raffles wrote to the Scottish poet and orientalist John Leyden to tell him that her husband was building a “pretty brick house” in Beach Road (later Northam Road and now Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah).

Raffles and Olivia moved into their beachfront house called “Runnymede” in early 1809 and lived there until Raffles left for Malacca towards the end of 1810.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Letters

Another fuel price increase: Govt needs to address rising cost pressures
Take GST’s best feature and build it into SST
More than one way to show patriotism�
Driving gender stereotypes must be broken� �
Malaysia not lagging in AI literacy push
Graduate underemployment deserves closer attention
Gaining true social and economic independence an ongoing project�
No one should be above road safety laws�
Small price to pay monthly for 24-hour protection�
When money moves faster than judgement

Others Also Read