Barter ban and threat of military strike helped free sailors


KOTA KINABALU: A two-month barter trade ban between Sabah and southern Philippines and an imminent operation by the Philippines military to flush out Abu Sayyaf militants in Jolo led to the freedom of the four Malaysian seamen who had been held hostage since April 1.

The four Sarawakians – brothers Wong Teck Kang, 31, and Wong Teck Chii, 29, their cousin, Johnny Lau Jung Hien, 21, and Wong Hung Sing, 34 – were released at the coastal village of Patikul on Tuesday night.

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
News , bureaus

Next In Nation

Mohd Khafiz latest Malaysian to conquer Mount Everest
King grants audience to Anwar after PM raises possibility of snap polls
Drug gangs busted with seizures worth RM17.8mil in KLIA, Ampang Jaya
Safety code for online takedown of child sexual abuse materials to be in force next month
AG, Public Prosecutor separation Bill to be re-tabled June 22, says Azalina
PKR can prove Rafizi and Nik Nazmi joined Bersama before vacating seats, says sec-gen
Three South Koreans plead not guilty to kidnapping, demanding nearly RM40mil ransom
Court to decide on Zizie Izette’s graft case on July 20
Job placement for registered refugees to help ease critical workforce issues, says Saifuddin
S'wak to teach Computer Science and Design in English from 2029

Others Also Read