PETALING JAYA: Malaysia and Bangladesh have finally signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to receive 1.5 million workers in stages over the next three years under the government-to-government (G2G) G2G Plus System.
According to the Daily Star, Bangladesh Expatriates' Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister Nurul Islam and Human Resources Minister Datuk Seri Richard Riot signed the MoU at Dhaka’s Expatriates' Welfare office at 10am (12pm Malaysian time).
Bangladesh cabinet on February 8 approved the draft MoU despite a series of controversies after Malaysia last year announced that it would hire Bangladeshi workers through the private sector.
Under the deal, levy for Bangladeshi workers is to be fixed at RM1,946 (Tk37,000).
The deal has courted some controversies including the Bangladesh Association of International Recruiting Agencies (Baira) signing a letter protesting the possible monopoly by a “syndicate led by a Malaysian company” in hiring Bangladeshi workers there.
Earlier in San Francisco, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said he will discuss the Government's decision to recruit 1.5 million Bangladeshis with his deputy Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Najib, who has been for the past week on a working trip to California, United States, said that the Government would ensure any move taken was to fulfil the needs of the economy.
1.5 million more to come
Zahid: Businesses requested for Bangladeshi workers
Khaled: Ensure 1.5mil Bangladeshi workers do not create problems
Legalise Bangladeshi workers here, says Tenaganita
Private worker recruiters against monopoly