KOTA KINABALU: A bank officer believed his car was also the target of the group of men who went on a shooting spree that damaged over 40 premises on Saturday.
Alex Ong and his family were returning home in his 4WD at about 9.30pm on Dec 29 when he saw another 4WD travelling at high speed in the opposite direction in Jalan Sepanggar.
Moments later, the rear glass window of his vehicle shattered.
"Initially we thought it was caused by a pebble or a stone that was thrown at us," he said, adding that he later found a marble inside the car.
"I asked my children if they had been playing with marbles and none of them said they had," he said when contacted by The Star.
He said he did not think much about the incident until he read of the Jan 10 shooting in parts of the city and Penampang and realised it could be the same group that shot at his car.
"My wife and I are just thankful that it was not the window of the back seat that was shattered as our children were sitting there," Ong said adding that he did not lodge a police report.
"It never crossed my mind that someone would be shooting projectiles like a marbles," he added.
In the shooting spree, 38 roadside banks, restaurants, hand phone outlets, supermarkets, hotels, car showrooms, hotels and offices in Kota Kinabalu and another eight in Penampang district were damaged between midnight on Jan 9 and 1am on Jan 10.
Police had said that at least six individuals who moved about in two four-wheel-drive vehicles and a saloon car were involved in the shooting.