Two construction reps charged in second Penang Bridge collapse


BALIK PULAU: The representatives of two construction companies were charged in a magistrate’s court here with two counts of causing death to one person and injury to four others in the collapse of the second Penang Bridge connecting ramp in June last year.

Chan Kah Heen, 39, who appeared on behalf of Cergas Murni Sdn Bhd, and Abdul Raub Razalim, 50, the managing director of Giga Engineering and Construction Sdn Bhd, claimed trial to the charges before magistrate Muhammad Najib Ismail.

Cergas Murni is accused of failing to undertake safety measures during the construction works at the Batu Maung intersection, Package 3A of the Penang Second Bridge about 7pm on June 6 last year.

The collapse resulted in the death of former policeman, Tajudin Zainal Abidin and injuries to two civilians Thilasheni Rajendran, 25 and Gajashantini Gajanujan, 25.

Cergas Murni was charged under Section 17(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) 1994.

Meanwhile, Giga Engineering & Construction was accused of failing to ensure the safety of its workers during the construction of the bridge at the same time and place.

The collapse of a section of the Batu Maung Interchange also resulted in the injury of two foreign workers Slamet Toket and Tin Maung Lwin for which Giga Engineering & Construction was charged under Section 15(1) of the OSHA.

Both the charges are punishable by imprisonment of not more than two years or fine of up to RM50,000 or both, upon conviction.

Cergas Murni was represented by Sarita Ashuk Khandar, while Giga Engineering was not represented.

Deputy Public Prosecutors Nurakmar Mohd Sani and Nik Azrin Zairin Nik Abdullah from the Human Resources Ministry prosecuted.

Muhammad Najib fixed Feb 28 for mention.

It was reported that the ramp collapsed and crushed a Kelisa, with a body, later identified as Tajudin, seen pinned to the dashboard.

The body of Tajudin, a former policeman who lived in Permatang Damar Laut, was extricated at 8.50pm on June 7, after more than 24 hours of the ramp collapsing.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Police inspector recharged with failing to arrest suspect under Arms Act
Unemployed man charged with murder ordered to undergo psychiatric assessment
Over 37 tonnes of e-waste seized in Port Klang by AKPS
Over 350 landowners appeal Penang’s revised land tax, says Chow
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones
Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros
Unity and harmony vital to preserve Malaysians' well-being, says Tiong
Steven Sim hospitalised for extreme fatigue
Two men arrested for domestic violence and intimidation in Tawau
No price gouging during Ramadan, Sabah consumer group urges businesses

Others Also Read