Home > News > Nation
Saturday January 11, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Saturday January 11, 2014 MYT 7:50:25 AM
by m. sivanantha sharma
BUTTERWORTH: Police have rescued 35 Bangladesh nationals from a human trafficking syndicate.
Besides freeing the foreigners, the raiding team also arrested seven suspects from the syndicate, including two women, during the raid at a house in Taman Selayang, Sungai Puyu.
Penang CID chief Senior Asst Comm Mazlan Kesah said the house was believed to be a transit point used by the smugglers.
“We believe the syndicate was operated by Myanmar nationals,” he said. Police also seized cellular phones, cash and a log book.
ACP Mazlan said initial investigations revealed that the Bangladesh nationals, aged between 20 and 45, had been brought in via Padang Besar in Perlis about a week ago.
He said the case was being investigated under Section 26(H) of the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act for concealing or harbouring smuggled migrants and migrant smugglers.
“The Bangladesh nationals will be investigated under Section 6(3) of the Immigration Act for not possessing valid travel documents,” he said on Thursday.
The suspects are being remanded for two weeks.
This was the second blow to human trafficking syndicates in Penang this week. On Monday, police raided a house in Simpang Ampat, rescuing 10 Myanmar migrants. Police arrested a couple and their two children.
Tags / Keywords:
Courts Crime, bangladesh nationals rescued
Blaze in Likas leaves 150 people homeless
FA Cup final: Cops praise supporters' conduct
Police step up patrols in three city areas
Former cop jailed for hurting death-in-custody victim
Anwar’s character can be questioned in defamation case, court hears
Parliament: Malaysians should have more children, says Rohani
Prove sincerity, Zahid tells Penang government
Najib vows to track down those behind mass graves
Zahid: Rohingya in Penang to be housed in Government facilities
No problem hanging out with George Clooney
Passion and food go hand in hand
Keeping romance alive with good food
Nigeria fuel crisis could shut down mobile phones, operator warns
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)