Home > News > Community
Wednesday January 29, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday January 29, 2014 MYT 6:58:30 AM
Taken down: MPS Enforcement officers up-end the telco mast after it has been disconnected from its power supply by TNB, whose officers were also part of the three-premise operation.
THE Selayang Municipal Council (MPS), with the help from Tenaga Nasional Berhad and the police, brought down three telecommunications masts in Selayang Utama and Selayang Baru yesterday.
MPS public relations officer Ahmad Fauzi Ishak said the telco operator which erected the three masts had not paid for the council permits.
“The permits cost RM2,000 per annum, plus RM10 for the permit sticker,” said Ahmad Fauzi.
Permits for two masts, were not paid for three years in a row, while the permit for the third, has not been renewed for the past two years.
Despite several warnings, the operator has not applied for the telecommunications permit,” said Ahmad Fauzi.
It is learnt that the company’s total of 15 masts had been operating without permits in 2013, resulting in about RM30,150 being owed to the council for last year alone.
MPS had issued notices asking the operator to take down its masts in November last year, followed by the demolition warning on Dec 18.
“Since the notices and warning were ignored, we are proceeding to remove these three masts first under Section 72 (1) of the Streets, Drainage and Building Act 1974.”
“The council can also issue a RM25,000 compound for each mast as they are deemed illegal structures,” said Ahmad Fauzi.
The telco operator has up till the end of the month to collect the masts from the council’s store, failing which the masts will be disposed of. — By VINCENT TAN
Tags / Keywords:
Utilities, Central Region, Transport & Safety, illegal telecommunications masts; Streets, Drainage and Building Act 1974, Selayang Municipal Council
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)