Police refute viral Facebook post about Bangsar assault - Nation | The Star Online
X Close

ADVERTISEMENT

Police refute viral Facebook post about Bangsar assault


KUALA LUMPUR: Police have refuted a viral Facebook post alleging that a butcher was assaulted by a group of suspects in Bangsar.

Brickfields OCPD Asst Comm Sharul Othman Mansor said the elderly man was in fact assaulted by a single man.

"We received a report on Sunday from an engineer who claimed his father was assaulted following an altercation with a female customer at around 10.30am," said ACP Sharul Othman.

When contacted on Thursday, he added that the report claimed that the female customer had gone to the shop owned by the engineer's father to buy mutton and that she had demanded a lower price for the meat.

He said the man refused to sell meat to the woman, adding that the engineer was called by his father at around 11am on Sunday claiming that he had been assaulted by a group of men and suffered injuries to his eye and as well as scrapes and bruises all over his body.

"He was rushed to the University Malaya Medical Centre for treatment," he said adding that a 26-year-old suspect was arrested in a follow up operation two days later.

ACP Sharul Othman said that based on investigations, the suspect claimed that his cousin was the one who assaulted the victim.

"The suspect claimed he confronted the elderly man with his wife and brother-in-law and mother-in-law for using foul language and pointing a meat cleaver at the two women," said ACP Sharul Othman.

He added that the suspect also claimed that the elderly man wanted to lodge a police report and said that the victim, the suspect and his family members were walking toward the police beat base at Bangsar when the suspect's cousin came on a motorcycle and immediately started assaulting the victim.

ACP Sharul Othman also said the suspect also claimed that he and his family members attempted to stop the assault.

"Based on our current investigations we refute a viral post on Facebook claiming that the victim was assaulted by a group of thugs. We have also arrested a second 25-year-old suspect to help in investigations," he said, urging the public not to speculate further and allow police to continue their investigations.

ADVERTISEMENT