IGP: Stalemate in probe into Pastor Koh abduction - Nation | The Star Online
X Close


IGP: Stalemate in probe into Pastor Koh abduction

  • Nation
  • Monday, 20 Mar 2017

KULAI: Police have no leads in the Feb 13 abduction of Pastor Raymond Koh and Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar urged the public not to generate too much publicity in the case.

"Too much speculation in the media can endanger the victim. I am worried because our investigation is in a stalemate as we don't have further information on the missing pastor. I believe it is due to too much publicity.

"To the media, individuals and NGOs who want to get involved in kidnap cases, shut your bloody mouth; you are putting the victim in a high degree of danger," he told reporters here Monday.

"The people who abducted Pastor Raymond are obviously very meticulous and when people keep blabbering until the whole world knows, we can't tell what has become of him.

"There's no lead now. I'm with the family. We are worried too," he added.

On the case involving a 31-year-old part-time Uber driver who was charged with demanding RM30,000 from Koh's son Jonathan at Paradigm Mall at 9.46pm on March 6, Khalid said the man was not involved in the pastor's abduction.

Koh was abducted from his car by a group of men along Jalan SS4B/10, Petaling Jaya.

CCTV footage believed to be of the incident has surfaced, showing at least 15 men and three black SUVs involved in the abduction.

On another kidnap case involving a housewife, Khalid said Malaysian police with the help of Indonesian and Singapore authorities managed to rescue the victim on Sunday morning.

"We rescued a housewife who was kidnapped 27 days ago in Johor Baru. We have returned her safe and sound to her family," he said.

He revealed that six individuals had been detained in Batam and 12 others in Johor Baru in connection with the case. The suspects were remanded for seven days from today.

"We will discuss with the Attorney-General with regard to the suspects who were detained by Indonesian authorities in Batam," he said.

The woman was abducted from her home around 3.30am and brought to Batam before being confined in a house at a farm there.

"The criminals did not contact the family for almost two weeks.

"This is where it is important and crucial for the family to cooperate with police, without drawing too much public attention to it.

"Alhamdulillah, it ended successfully," he noted.

On the possible involvement of the housemaid in the case, Khalid said this angle is being investigated. - Bernama