Home > News > Nation
Wednesday May 14, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Wednesday May 14, 2014 MYT 7:04:41 AM
Needle in a haystack: An Australian Navy officer searching for surface debris in the southern Indian Ocean recently. — AFP
CANBERRA: Australia has committed up to A$89.9mil (RM272mil) towards the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 over two years.
Australia has been leading the hunt for the plane which was carrying 239 people when it disappeared on March 8 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
It is believed to have crashed into the southern Indian Ocean but despite a massive search, which also went underwater using a US navy submersible, no sign of any wreckage has yet been found.
“The Government will provide up to A$89.9mil over two years as part of Australia’s commitment to the search for Malaysia Airlines flight MH370,” its budget papers released yesterday said.
Some A$27.9mil (RM84mil) would be given to the defence department to pay for its activities up to June 30, 2014 in looking for the Boeing aircraft, while another A$2mil (RM6mil) would be spent on the Joint Agency Coordination Centre established to liaise with key stakeholders.
“Further funding of up to A$60mil (RM182mil) over two years will be provided to the Australian Transport Safety Bureau for Australia’s contribution to the next phase of the search,” the papers said.
Australia has been coordinating the search for the plane – thought to have gone down in its search and rescue zone – in consultation with China, from where two-thirds of the passengers came, and Malaysia.
Prime Minister Tony Abbott has vowed Australia will do all it can to find the jet which mysteriously diverted from its course, saying he owed it to the families of those on board to discover what happened.
While the aerial and sea surface searches have been scaled down, Australia is now working on the next phase which will involve using sophisticated equipment to scan the unmapped ocean bed some 4.5km below the surface.
Negotiations are under way to engage contractors to do this work which Abbott has previously said could cost A$60mil. — AFP
Tags / Keywords:
Transport Safety, MH370, budget, australia
Duo held over robbery at hotel
MH370: Beijing family support centre to close
Court sets May 15 to hear suit by two children of MH370 passenger
Kaspersky: Cyber attack launched after MH370 went missing
Dialogue gives lodging providers deeper understanding of guidelines
Rompin by-election: It is the right of a citizen to vote, Shafie Apdal
Mat Sabu arrested over May 1 anti-GST rally
Dr Mahathir's criticisms not meant to weaken Umno, BN, says Mukhriz
Next stop – Sensational Singapore
How Malaysians abroad are bridging a skills gap
10 ways to discover Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef
Guests treated to pairings of single-grain Scotch with six-course dinner
Seeking space for the disabled
OnePlus One: The flagship killer arrives
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)