Home > News > Nation
Wednesday March 26, 2014 MYT 7:04:00 PM
Wednesday March 26, 2014 MYT 9:24:24 PM
by tan yi liang AND rashvinjeet s. bedi
The objects spotted by French satellites. Images processed by MRSA.
KUALA LUMPUR: France has provided new leads in the search for the downed Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, with 122 potential objects identified from new satellite images.
Acting Transport Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said Airbus Defence and Space in France captured the new images on Sunday, and handed it over to the Malaysian Remote Sensing Agency (MRSA) Tuesday.
"MRSA analysed the images, and in an area measuring some 400 sq km, were able to identify 122 potential objects. Some objects were a metre in length, some objects were 23 metres in length. Some of the objects appeared bright, possibly indicating solid material," said Hishammuddin during a press conference at the Putra World Trade Centre here on Wednesday.
He added the information was relayed on Tuesday to the Rescue Coordination Centre in Perth, Australia.
"The objects were located approximately 2,557 kilometres from Perth. It must be emphasised we cannot tell if the objects are from MH370. Nevertheless, this is another new lead that will help direct the search operation," said Hishammuddin.
Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak announced on Monday night that based on new analysis by satellite company Inmarsat and Britain's Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) on the satellite data provided, it was concluded that MH370 flew along the southern corridor to its last position in the middle of the Indian Ocean, west of Perth.
MH370, which had been missing for 17 days before Najib's announcement, disappeared from Malaysian radars at 2.15am on March 8 after taking off from Kuala Lumpur International Airport for Beijing at 1.30am. It carried 239 passengers and crew.
Tags / Keywords:
MH370, Malaysia Airlines, Missing flight, France, Satellite images
Esszone safer than Kuala Lumpur, says Shahidan
Sabah cops involved in shooutout, shophouses forced into lockdown
Two suspected robbers killed in Penampang shootout
Babysitter who allegedly tied up three-year-old boy to be charged Friday
Sodomy II: 'Heat' seems to be cooling off as number of Anwar’s supporters dwindles
SPAD wants bus operators to decide
Faizol hopes to repeat FA Cup heroics
Samsung's Q3 profit plunges to near three-year low
Die at home and cut the health cover-ups, Africans urge leaders
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)