X Close

Nation

Published: Sunday February 16, 2014 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Updated: Sunday February 16, 2014 MYT 7:30:26 AM

Perak Man back home in Lenggong

Home sweet home: The Perak Man on display at the Lenggong Valley Archaeology Gallery.

Home sweet home: The Perak Man on display at the Lenggong Valley Archaeology Gallery.

LENGGONG: Perak Man, the country’s oldest prehistoric man uncovered 24 years ago, is finally home.

Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Nazri Aziz, a Lenggong boy himself, became the first visitor to view the 11,000-year-old skeleton during a ceremony yesterday to mark the homecoming of Perak Man at the Lenggong Archaeological Gallery.

“It is a historical day for all of us, especially Lenggong folks. This is actually the first time that the Perak Man is being exhibited back here where it was discovered.

“I think the Lenggong people are the happiest to be able to see the actual Perak Man,” Nazri said.

Perak Man was uncovered at Gua Gunung Runtuh, about 8km from the gallery, by the Heritage Com­missioner Prof Emeritus Datin Paduka Zuraina Majid and a team of other archaeologists in 1990.

Perak Man’s skeletal remains are considered the most complete and oldest ancient skeleton in the peninsula. It was taken on exhibition to Penang and Japan, and later put on display at the National Museum in 2010, while a replica was showcased at the Lenggong Archaeolo-gical Museum, now known as the Lenggong Archaeological Gallery.

After Lenggong Valley was recognised as a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) World Heritage Site in July 2012, a decision was made to bring Perak Man back here.

On another matter, Nazri said the department had submitted the Lenggong Valley Conservation Management Plan to Unesco last month and added that the ministry would be looking at acquiring all 1,814ha of Cluster 1 and 2 of Lenggong Valley where archaeological sites are concentrated.

Tags / Keywords: Government, Perak Man, Lenggong Valley, Unesco

advertisement

  1. Massive toll rate hike for Causeway users from Aug 1, including Singapore-bound vehicles
  2. Betong blast: Two Malaysians among 36 injured
  3. Betong blast: Avoid travelling to southern Thailand, says IGP
  4. Betong blast: 100kg homemade car bomb behind deadly explosion
  5. Betong blast: Car bomb kills three, Malaysian among 36 injured in southern Thailand
  6. IGP Khalid warns netizens not to spread false news of Selangor prince
  7. Selangor MB crisis: Hadi wants Khalid to continue as Mentri Besar
  8. 2014: A tragic year for aviation
  9. International community in awe of PM’s handling of MH17 tragedy
  10. Experts: Get set for an acute water shortage

advertisement

advertisement