Home > News > Nation
Thursday December 19, 2013 MYT 12:00:00 AM
Thursday December 19, 2013 MYT 9:17:32 AM
Damaged property: Poh Seng Kee, 60, of Taman Sri Buyong in Kemaman, disposing of furniture and electrical appliances that were destroyed in the flood. Poh, who has been a resident of Taman Sri Buyong for 32 years, also lost important documents when five feet of floodwaters inundated his home. -Bernama
KUALA LUMPUR: The Meteorological Department has issued a warning that a second wave of monsoon rains that will cause floods is expected to occur from Friday to Monday.
A National Security Council statement said the areas that are expected to be affected are Terengganu (Dungun dan Kemaman), Pahang (Kuantan, Pekan and Rompin) and Johor (Segamat and Mersing).
“People living in low-lying areas should adhere to instructions given by the authorities. They can go online at http://portalbencana.mkn.gov.my/Portal/ to get the latest information on floods nationwide,” the statement said.
Meanwhile, flood victims whose MyKad had been lost or damaged in the recent floods here can apply for a replacement at the National Registration Department (NRD) without having to lodge a police report, said its director-general Datuk Jariah Mohd Said.
She added that they also need not have to pay for the replacement.
“However, they will have to answer several questions posed by NRD officials to verify that they are flood victims,” she said in Kuantan yesterday.
Jariah said that the process to replace the identity cards would take a week.
In Kota Baru, Kelantan Disaster Relief Committee deputy chairman Datuk Makhtar Mustapha said government departments and agencies are gearing up for the possibility of the next wave of floods.
He said 729 evacuation centres had been identified while essential supplies were being stockpiled.
In Kuala Terengganu, families affected by the floods in Terengganu will receive up to RM1,500 aid from the state government, said Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Ahmad Said.
The maximum RM1,500 aid will be given to victims whose houses were totally inundated by the flood while other flood victims will get RM500, he added.
“The state government is expected to spend RM15mil for the aid. The state’s annual aid for families with schoolgoing children affected by the floods will be increased,” he said after chairing the weekly state exco meeting at Wisma Darul Iman here yesterday.
Ahmad also said the state departments and agencies are fully prepared for the next wave of floods which is predicted to hit the state again this weekend.
Meanwhile, the state Agriculture Department director Md Yusof Maidin said the floods in Terengganu had damaged about 700ha of crops and had caused 856 farmers to lose about RM4.7mil.
He said the crops affected were padi, vegetables, fruit trees and cash crops such as corn, tapioca, mushroom and sweet potatoes as well as nurseries.
Tags / Keywords:
Monsoon rains trigger deadly floods in Myanmar
Contractors claim no land to build houses for flood victims
Four dead, thousands flee as floods hit northern Philippines
RM10mil for farmers affected by floods
Escaped tiger from Georgia zoo shot after killing man
Muhyiddin: PM still my friend and I will help him strengthen Umno and Barisan
Police arrest ex-MACC Tan Sri adviser and AGC officer
Police on standby regardless of unfounded rumours spread via messages
AMM to discuss South China Sea dispute
Respect Muhyiddin, Hisham tells party members
Bar: Gani can challenge his termination in court
Call for stricter enforcement
High living in the great outdoors
Samsung Pay is coming to Europe
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)