Local IS fighter claims Movida bombing is ‘first attack on Malaysian soil’


The Movida bar is pictured after a grenade attack in Puchong, on the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia June 28, 2016. - REUTERS/ FILEPIC

PETALING JAYA: In the hours after the bombing at the Movida nightclub in Puchong last week, a Malaysian militant believed to be fighting in Syria wrote a chilling message on Facebook claiming “the first successful Islamic State attack on Malaysian soil”.

“Two soldiers of the caliphate in Malaysia have launched the first attack in the heart of the country, which is Kuala Lumpur, by targeting a nightclub filled with infidels using a grenade,” said the post associated with the account of one Abu Hamzah Al-Fateh.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Penang's esplanade seawall, promenade project wins Unesco heritage award
DAP’s pledge to back unity govt key to stability, says Fuziah
Malaysia weighs Impact of US tariff ruling, says Johari
Urgent action needed to combat synthetic drug abuse among students, says Lee Lam Thye
Scheduled water rationing in Kluang, Pontian ends
Chinese national feared drowned in Langkawi
Make mosques centres of unity, not exclusive domain of any group, says Pahang Sultan
Umno Supreme Working Council to decide on Bersatu members rejoining party, says Ahmad Maslan
3,685 flee homes as floods worsen in Sabah
Border control seizes RM1.9mil in animal products

Others Also Read