Wisma Putra: No Malaysians killed in Ankara explosion


Forensic officers working on the site of a suicide bomb attack in Ankara, Turkey March 14, 2016. - REUTERS

PETALING JAYA: No Malaysians were killed in the car bomb attack in Ankara that killed 34 people and injuring over a hundred in Turkey on Sunday.

"The Embassy of Malaysia in Ankara is in close contact with Turkish authorities in determining if any Malaysians were among those affected by the attack.

"So far there has been no indication of any Malaysian casualties," said the Foreign Affairs Ministry in a statement on Monday.

The Malaysian Embassy in Ankara is also in close contact with Malaysians including students.

"The Government of Malaysia expresses its deepest condolences and sympathies to the Government of the Republic of Turkey and to the families of the victims affected by the attack. 

"Malaysia regards this latest incident as an atrocious act of terrorism and hopes that the perpetrators will be brought to justice," said the Ministry.

The Ministry also reminded Malaysians residing or travelling to Ankara to give "utmost priority" to their personal safety and the security of their surroundings. 

Malaysians are also advised to closely monitor and comply with any advisory issued by the Government of the Republic of Turkey. 

"The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Malaysia through the Embassy of Malaysia in Ankara will continue to monitor the situation," said the Ministry.

The car bomb attack took place in Guven Park in the Kizilay district, a key transport hub and commercial area.

So far, the explosion killed at least 34 people and wounding 125.

No group has yet claim responsibility for the attack. However, a security official told Reuters news agency that initial findings suggested it was the work of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK) or an affiliated group.


The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Microsleep accounts for 20% of road accidents, says Miros
Unity and harmony vital to preserve Malaysians' well-being, says Tiong
Steven Sim hospitalised for extreme fatigue
Two men arrested for domestic violence and intimidation in Tawau
No price gouging during Ramadan, Sabah consumer group urges businesses
Fashion designer Jovian Mandagie fails in appeal against bankruptcy order
Police hunt 36 wanted individuals
Bills to limit PM’s tenure, split AG–PP roles to be tabled Monday
Fisheries Act amendment to strengthen marine mammal conservation
Thousands affected as overnight downpour triggers Paitan floods

Others Also Read