Six NS trainees from Pinggiran Pelangi camp to be charged with murder of fellow trainee - Nation | The Star Online
X Close


Six NS trainees from Pinggiran Pelangi camp to be charged with murder of fellow trainee

ROMPIN: All six National Service trainees from the Pinggiran Pelangi camp in Muadzam Shah near here will be charged on Monday for the death of a fellow trainee.

Five others will be jointly charged with voluntarily causing hurt under Section 323 of the same Act.

The murder charge carries the mandatory death penalty while causing hurt provides for imprisonment of up to one year and a fine of up to RM2,000, upon conviction.

The killing of a trainee was the first such crime committed in a National Service camp since its inception in 2003 and shocked the nation.

Rompin OCPD Deputy Supt Johari Jahaya when contacted by The Star confirmed all six suspects, aged between 17 and 22, would be charged.

DSP Johari said the remand period of the suspects would expire on Sunday.

"We have completed our investigations and submitted the papers to the Attorney-General chambers.

"An order to prosecute has been received and all six will be produced in the court in Pekan to face charges," he said.

Presently, all six were still being held at the district police lock-up here.

The first three suspects was picked up shortly after trainee Muhammad Suhaimi Norhamidi, 18, was found sprawled on the bathroom floor at their hostel on Sept 22.

Subsequently, three more trainees were detained last Sunday to assist in the murder probe.

Muhammad Suhaimi was believed to have been assaulted by a group of trainees for jumping queue during breakfast.

A group of trainees then took it upon themselves to teach him a lesson and beat him up.

Two of the trainees picked up had fractured their hands due to the blows they landed on the victim.

The victim was also believed to have his head banged repeatedly on a cupboard during the assault in the dormitory.

After the vicious attack, he staggered to the bathroom before collapsing on the floor.

Muhammad Suhaimi died without regaining consciousness at the Muadzam Shah Hospital.

The post-mortem report revealed that the victim died from internal bleeding in the head due to blunt trauma.

National Service Training Department director-general Datuk Abdul Hadi Awang Kechil could not be reached for comments.

His deputy Rozainor Ramli had earlier announced the setting up of a special unit to start an internal inquiry on the incident.

Rozainor said the department would give its full co-operation to the police.