Italian cybersecurity firm suspects foreign government was behind attack


CYBERBREACH: The source code of the Hacking Team

ROME: Italian cybersecurity firm Hacking Team said a government might have been behind a massive hack of its systems and warned that the subsequent leaking of its computer codes could prove to be a field day for criminals.

Unknown hackers last week downloaded 400GB of data from the firm, which makes surveillance software that allows law enforcement and intelligence agencies to tap into the phones and computers of suspects.

Much of the data, including thousands of private corporate e-mails, has since been dumped onto the Wikileaks website. The source code of a number of its top secret programmes has also been published online.

"Given its complexity, I think that the attack must have been carried out at a government level, or by someone who has huge funds at their disposal," David Vincenzetti, the chief executive officer of Hacking Team, told Sunday's La Stampa newspaper.

He did not speculate on who it might have been.

The company has advised clients to halt their use of its programmes until they can upgrade the compromised software, but warned that all computer systems might now be vulnerable.

"Hacking Team's investigation has determined that sufficient code was released to permit anyone to deploy the software against any target of their choice," the company said in a statement on its Internet site.

"Terrorists, extortionists and others can deploy this technology at will if they have the technical ability to do so."

The same site still prominently promotes its now exposed products: "Total control over your targets. Log everything you need. Always. Anywhere they are," it says.

The leaked e-mails show that the Hacking Team worked with numerous state institutions in an array of countries, including Italy, the United States and Australia.

It also had dealings with countries criticised for their human rights records, such as Libya, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kazakhstan, Morocco, Nigeria, Saudi Arabia and Sudan.

Breaking his silence almost a week after the hack was uncovered, Vincenzetti defended his choice of clients, saying he had never broken international trade law.

He said that when his firm realised Ethiopia was using its software to spy on a journalist, it asked for an explanation and then ended the contract.

The 12-year-old Hacking Team was named as one of five private-sector Corporate Enemies of the Internet in a 2012 report by Reporters Without Borders. — Reuters

Get 20% OFF The Star Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

RM 11.12/month

Billed as RM 11.12 for the 1st month, RM 13.90 thereafter.

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 9.87/month

Billed as RM 118.40 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

Explainer-From Meta to SpaceX: how dual-class shares keep founders in control
On London's streets, facial recognition tests the balance between security and liberty
Analysis-Space ETFs booming in anticipation of SpaceX IPO
Prism+ launches AI TV 2026 series, starting from RM1,499 for the 43in model
Microsoft turns to video-game researcher to fire up Xbox revival
Workday shares jump as AI demand eases investor concerns
Italy busts €300 million streaming piracy ring
UBS Global Wealth Management lifts S&P 500 target on strong consumer spending, AI demand
Fans create AI-generated team songs ahead of World Cup
Paris to host 2026 Esports World Cup instead of Riyadh

Others Also Read